kewlsouth asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Im 220 pound 6 foot 1 I work out every day 2 hours a day run about 3 miles daily im only 20 years old?

Dont have any fat on me but my navy recurter says that im over weight for my age and height and that i need to lose 10 pounds

Favorite Answer

You can check your BMI it will tell you if you are overweight.

Source(s): www.caloriesperhour.com

you are just 10 lbs over weight for the navy? I have always been told I should weigh 185 and I am the same height as you. the navy basic training should take the 10 lbs off with no problem but do you really want to go in considering the world conditions. If so then I salute you and would very much like to keep in contact with you as a way of showing my support. Just e-mail me and lets be friends.

Well, according to the BMI, you are considered overweight. But, BMI evaluation does not tell you the whole story of everything. Since you have lean muscle and exercise on a daily basis, you are healthy. The BMI doesn't account for lean muscle mass.

For example Arnold Schwarzenegger is a very lean and big man, and he would be considered obese with his measurements according to the BMI.

To help with evaluating whether you're overweight or not, try other methods like waist circumference, fatfold measures, hydrodensitometry, bioelectrical impedence, air displacement plethysmography, or a dual energy X-ray absorptiometry.

Source(s): Understanding Nutrition 10th edition by Ellie Whitney/Sharon Rady Rolfes.

Your BMI is 29. The upper end of the safe limit is 25. Unless you're a body builder and solid muscle, you are definitely overweight. For a BMI of 25.1, your weight would be 190, so you are about 30 pounds overweight, unless, as I said, you are very muscular. I don't know where your recruiter got his number of only ten pounds, but I would suggest going for 20.

Write down and measure everything you eat for a week. Figure out your diet. You likely are consuming either too much sugar or too many bread carbs. Work out less and run more. 3 miles isn't all that much (yes, it would kill me), but it burns more calories. That said, as a body builder, you just may not fit out for the navy. Consider other services.

If you are over the weight limit, you don't fit the equipment, it's as simple as that. My uncle couldn't get in because he was 6'4". He offered to crouch, but it was a no-go.

Because muscle is heavier than fats. The navy recruiter most likely based the criteria on BMI which doesnt take into account of your bodyfat. Body Mass Index is based on sedentary individuals.

Source(s): Certified Personal Trainer http://www.missionsculpt.com/

forget the navy and go to the marines. ive got friends that are the same height and weight as you and from the sound of it the same muscle mass and they both have had zero problems with marine recruitment. either that or kick the navy recruiter's *** and show him youre fit enough

• fitman

Your recruiter is using an archaic system that does not account for body composition. Ask him to give you a percentage body fat test because it is more accurate than weight or BMI which are functionally useless for measuring body composition.

Here is an article about measuring body composition:

http://www.spartafit.com/articles/measuring%20body...

ha ha , been there done that my friend, do,nt worry , by the time you get out of basic you'll have lost the ten #s, P.S. make sure ya have someone send ya a care package , cause ya gonna need it ;)

well maybe it's your muscels that give you the extra weight.