Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 1 decade ago

Diabetes causing enourmous pain in feet 24/7?

My Grandpa has diabetes and I guess it is causing nerve damage in his feet. I guess he's tryed all types of pills, soaking his feet, special shoes, even hypnotherapy! Anyone know something we don't that he could try that has worked for other people? Feel free to list meds too

Favorite Answer

Hi Ryan, I know the feeling. I am diabetic. I could not sleep for the burning, stinging and general hurting of my feet.

I tried many menthol based products advertised for such pains, they gave some relief. The best of those was Absorbine Jr. It has an applicator top. It can be gently rubbed on the feet and after it dries a little, put warm sox on and sleep will be easier.

However, recently I started using a homeopathic remedy for burning feet. It's called Artalgia. I found it on the internet by typing "burning feet" into the Google search box. There were other sites, but, thankfully, I chose the right one. I ordered the Artalgia and within one week the burning was greatly reduced; now I don't have any burning. It's only $17. which includes the shipping. The web address: http://www.burningneuropathy.com

Many supplements also help the diabetic/nerve proplems. Diabetes and the medications therefor deplete certain things in the body so need to be replace in a higher amount than for those without diabetes. Certain foods contribute to high suger in the blood, and the result is further damage internally, and pain is one of those results.

You did not indicate the type of pain your Grandpa has. I once had enormous pain and swelling from a medication the doctor put me on.

Diabetes causes many thing in the human body. Medications sometimes cause more trouble than they're worth. Read the fine print on the medications your Grandpa is taking. Not the bottle, the paper the druggist gives with the Rx. That might help you trace the problem. Also, look the Rx up on the internet and read what there is to be on the look out for. Doctors are very busy. They do not know about the suffering people do at home, during the night and other miseries we as patients go through. When we go in to see them, we feel guilty about complaining, often, patients don't know how to express how they feel, they just know they hurt, are miserable and need help.

Several things are crucial in managing Diabetes and subsequent damage as well as pain. Weight, diet and exercise are the main factors to control.

I would be glad to discuss this further with you. You may e-mail me for further conversation. I've had Diabetes 2 for several years. I've studied it in books and on the internet. I never stop searching for how to stop it from ruining my body. It's a pretty scary thing when you find out what-all it does internally. It affects every organ, every cell, etc. Control it or it will control you (or your Grandpa).

You didn't say whether or not your Grandpa is under a doctors care. He should be. Testing is very important. Other than the blood sugar, the thyroid and heart, kidneys, etc. all need monitoring. He should be testing his blood sugar daily to control that also. It will help him help the doctor for med. advice.

Really, it's too much to put it all down here. Hope what I've said helps. It's nice you care about your Grandpa. Being a Grandmother myself, I appreciate that.

If he's not on medication because he can't afford it, there's a Patient Assistance Program that helps people on low income. The doctor has to issue the Rx, but there are forms one can send for from the drug company that manufactures that particular drug and they will send it free if one qualifies.

You have to know which drug company manufactures the drug the Dr. prescribes, then call or write to them for an application.

Let me know if you need more on that angle.

1

Source(s): Two Weeks Diabetes Cure - http://DiabetesCure.raiwi.com/?Xgod

2

Source(s): I Cured My Diabetes - http://DiabetesGoFar.com/?tmbn
  • Amanda

I am writing to tell you what an incredible impact these methods had on my life! I have had type 2 diabetes for 27 years. For me, the worst part of this horrible disease is the severe pain I constantly get in my feet. The pain is so bad that I avoid standing and walking as much as possible. I've got to tell you that within the first month, my feet stopped hurting altogether and I can now walk totally pain free.

Believe it or not, I even danced at my niece's wedding last month, something I have not done in a many years. I've been following the book for six months now and my blood sugar is well within normal range. I feel great!

I recommend you use the Type 2 Diabetes Destroyer to naturally reverse your diabetes.

• Carol

One of the long term complications of diabetes mellitus (both types) is nerve damage. It's not clear, even now, just why. It may be the high levels of glucose (it's slightly toxic, because it's chemically reactive), or it may be due to another derangement of one of the many body systems insulin controls or affects. And diabetics' insulin levels are usually out of whack (none for type 1) and even too much (in type 2, but with some of its important effects (controlling glucose absorption by about 2/3 of body cells). However it happens, the damage is often seen first in sensory nerves in the feet and lower legs and later, sometimes, in hands, fingers, and such. Nobody feels very well with their feet anyway (imagine wearing hot sweaty shoes on your sensitive hands!) and the loss in sensation is sometimes just missed. And you miss blisters, punctures, infections, ... until they get out of hand. Something that's not well understood at all is the pain "in' the feet and lower legs that sometimes occurs. If the sensory nerves are dead or out of commission, how could there be pain? It appears to be related to the problem of phantom pain in some folks who have lost limbs. the missing limb still has parts of the brain watching it, and something in the missingness of the part that's isn't there anymore, but still being watched causes the brain to decide tat the signals it isn't getting really, are from ice picks stabbing into the missing foot or some really painful such thing. Clearly, no treatment of the damage to the missing foot is going to relieve the pain. And the usual pain killers don't always work very well, as the pain seems to be happening in parts of the brain the pain killers often don't help. For diabetics, even if they haven't lost anything to infection or circulation damage, the feet and lower legs might as well not be there (the sensory nerves aren't reporting in like they should), and it may be that the brain parts listening to those parts may be getting just as out of whack as if the part were actually missing. No news, after all. There are some non-traditional pain killers which have worked for some people. One mentioned to me not long ago is something called Neurontin. It might help. The pain can be quite intense, even debilitating. If so, it may make sense to consult a doctor who's a specialist in pain management. But before that, make sure you've talked to a doctor with more the general expertise in diabetes. It's a complex situation in many people and the long term complications make it more complex still. since this appears to be a nerve damage problem, I'd suggest you might try a neurologist, or failing that, an endocrinologist. Both are likely to be better informed about odd diabetic nerve issues than the usual family practitioner. If nothing helps, try a pain specialist -- they're not very common and will be harder to find than neurologists or endocrinologists. A last possibility is a clinic at a teaching hospital, if there's one near you. The doctors in training need practice, and they're supervised by some of the sharpest docs and profs available, and they're expected to consult on difficult cases. And the clinics tend to be less expensive than hospitals, though more expensive than an office visit with a family practice doc. Best wishes for her. people who haven't experienced what this can be (horrid!) usually just don't get it. Walk it off is probably what the local athletic coach or trainer might say, or wait it out from some tough guy, or rub this cream on from a concerned nurse. None of these are likely to make much difference.

With diabetes, its a known sympton that you lose feelings in your feet. Any treatment for aching feet should be used with caution. The best natural remedy would be a gentle foot massage or depending how he felt maybe even a course of reflexology, but usually this aching will subdue but thats unfortunately when there is no feeling left in the feet and thats worse, because as I know myself. I walked into the door and didn't feel any pain, until I saw my toe was black and blue, I went to doc and had broken 2 bones, but I never felt a thing. Good luck, hope this helps. (this is general advice only as I am not a medical practicioner)

3

Source(s): Diabetes Natural Reamedies http://ReverseDiabetesToday.enle.info/?CuH9

There are several meds for this, with varying results. He needs to talk to his doctor about the options.

• KitKat

have your grandpa consult with his doctor. this is very important info that the doctor needs to know.