reconstruction era?

i need to know what the reconstruction era was but like briefly.... and still has to be a summary of it ??

ANYONE?

Favorite Answer

1865–1877: Reconstruction

Reconstruction was the period in American history immediately after the Civil War. The physical rebuilding of Southern cities, ports, railroads, and farms that had been destroyed during the war was only a small part of the Reconstruction process. The major work of Reconstruction involved restoring the membership of the Southern states in the Union.

The Civil War ended on April 9, 1865, when Confederate general Robert E. Lee (1807–1870) surrendered to Union general Ulysses S. Grant (1822–1885) at Appomattox Courthouse in Virginia. The North's victory settled two important issues. First, it established that states were not allowed to leave, or secede from, the United States. Second, it put an end to slavery throughout the country. But the end of the war also raised a whole new set of issues. For example, federal lawmakers had to decide whether to punish the Confederate leaders, what process to use to readmit the Southern states to the Union, and how much assistance to provide in securing equal rights for the freed slaves.

Because these complicated issues carried a great deal of importance for the future of the nation, Reconstruction was a time of great political and social turmoil. President Andrew Johnson (1808–1875), who took office after Abraham Lincoln (1809–1865) was assassinated in 1865, controlled the earliest Reconstruction efforts. But the U.S. Congress felt that the president's Reconstruction policies were too lenient (easy) on the South. Led by members of the Republican Party, Congress enacted stricter Reconstruction policies beginning in 1866 and sent in federal troops to enforce them. The ongoing dispute between Johnson and Congress led to the president's impeachment (a trial to decide whether to remove him from office) in 1868.

Under Congressional Reconstruction, the Southern states adopted new constitutions and formed governments that allowed the participation of black people. These states were then permitted to rejoin the Union. But it did not take long for the process to begin to fall apart. Many Southern whites continued to believe that blacks were inferior to them and should not have equal rights. Violence erupted throughout the South as whites rebelled against Congress's Reconstruction policies. Blacks were intimidated and terrorized so that they would not vote, and political leadership in the South gradually returned to the hands of whites. Reconstruction officially ended in 1877, when President Rutherford B. Hayes (1822–1893) withdrew federal troops from the South. But even though Reconstruction failed to ensure equality for black citizens in the United States, it set the stage for the Civil Rights Movement that would take place nearly a century later.

Source(s): American History Class
  • inatuk

Reconstruction was the attempt from 1865 to 1877 in U.S. history to resolve the issues of the American Civil War, when both the Confederacy and slavery were destroyed. Reconstruction addressed the return to the Union of the secessionist Southern states, the status of the leaders of the Confederacy, and the Constitutional and legal status of the ***** Freedmen. Violent controversy erupted over how to tackle those issues, and by the late 1870s Reconstruction had failed to equally integrate the Freedmen into the legal, political, economic and social system. "Reconstruction" is also the common name for the entire history of the era 1865 to 1877.

1. too repetitive nowadays, and even though I answer one of them every once in a while, all the non hip hop questions are annoying. on a scale of 1-10...6. The people that ask the best questions are rarely on nowadays... 2. Yea...I could understand one every once in a while, but there's like 10 or 15 everyday...and they're usually from the same people Yes I would There is too much concentration...I don't think I've ever started one of my questions with "RHH Regs"...a few of the regs opinions, frankly, don't even matter to me. If you love the genre, then that should be more than enough. I think all the hating on Lil Wayne should really stop...there's a few people that go out of their way just to hate on the dude...every chance they get they're taking shots at him. I'm not gonna call anybody out, but the ish is annoying...I could understand the random hater that comes onto Y!A, but all the "regs" that think they're above and beyond while hating on Lil Wayne are just as pathetic. oh yeah, and no more bandwagonning. i have one particular person in mind that has everybody's nuts in their mouth. edit: nah it's not you...funny thing is he prolly don't even know it =D Much Love xxx