DLZ asked in TravelUnited StatesPhoenix · 1 decade ago

Should we move to Tucson, AZ??

My fiancee and I are thinking about moving to Tucson. We lived in Phoenix, AZ for a little while and loved the area. ( especially the food and the weather!) However, the people didn't seem to be very open to the idea of inter-racial relationhsips. ( my fiancee is white, I'm black) Everyone that lives ( or has lived) in AZ says that people there usually are very open to the idea of mixed couples, but we lived there and now how weird people were about it. ( we were stopped in the supermarket several times!!) Anyways, we were just wondering if people in Tucson were nicer and how expensive it is to live there.

Thanks for the help.

Yes, people confronted us several times.

To address the first answer, we want to live in a place where we can afford to live there and not have to worry about our kids ( when we have them) being bothered because of racial tension.

When you're denied housing and jobs because your spouse is a different race, it is an issue. Again, like I stated before, it's hard to understand if you've never been in the situation.

Favorite Answer

I would say you would run into the same thing. People here are open to inter-racial relationships, but most of what we see is white-mexican relationships. So I think you would still get stopped in Tucson, Flagstaff, etc. It's about the same expense wise to live in Tucson as it is in Phoenix. And at least there is more to do in Phoenix than in Tucson.

I lived in Arizona a long time ago, but incidentally, I am on a visit to Tucson right now and I visited Phoenix earlier this week. I did notice more mixed couples in Tucson, but honestly, there are just not enough black people in Arizona in general. Don't get me wrong, I love the place, but I would never deny my child of half or all of her heritage. Just make sure that when and if you all have kids-visit the south or anywhere with black people so that your child will be well-rounded. Good luck with everything.

I dont know why people would care if yall are interracial, In Albuquerque we dont have very many black people but the ones I usually do see are interacial couples,but many many people here are half/Spanish and white, so lots of interaicals that way too, but its so common that no one even considers it interacial, maybe the south would be better than in Phoenix, Phoenix people are weird.

Tucson is a grate place to live. I have been there before, but havent lived there, but my frends do, and they are just like you! So, they said, well, if we have any problems, we will move, they have been there for 5 years!

• NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!

my family had a terrible time living there!! it was dry, boring, nothing to do, and we were very poor there, and the law there is completely stupid, theres like, no schools, its just, well, GAY! dont move to tuscon! it was a terrible experience for me (as a first grader) and my family!!

tuscon is smaller you might have same problem. california is more open to that I think. Just my opinion. good luck on your search. when you say you were stopped you mean people actually confronted you?

if u wanna go then go!!!

But this is how i would solve it.....I would not move cuz WHO CARES about what people think it just matters what YOU think

if u like where u r living than DON'T GO DUHHHHHHH

Source(s): my mother grew up in the boondocks and married my dad in the boondock my mom is whit and my dad is black so people did not like that idea BUT they did not care they were in LOVE