Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

Are Taurus model PT22 small frame pistols reliable?

I am thinking about buying a Taurus small frame pistol as a back-up gun. I use a S&W .38 special model 642 for conceal carry. The Taurus would be a back-up gun for that. Are they reliable? I see a brand new one is oly $240. The low price makes me think they will have problems. Does anyone have firsthand experience with one?

• randkl
    Favorite Answer

Bro-in-law bought two matching guns for his wife. he brought them out to try on my tree stumps. Me, 6'2" and a hairy lumberjack type, I couldn't cock the damned thing. Just not enough meat on that slide to get a grip on.

Once we figured out that you simply pop the barrel up and chamber the first round by hand, we had a real hoot of a day! Chamber the first round by hand, close the barrel, pull trigger. Double action, you don't have to touch that damned slide.

Both pistols jammed a lot on some cheapo hollowpoints and wouldn't feed Stingers at all. The feed ramps on both looked to be almost parkerized. Round nosed lubed Remington Thunderbolts fed perfectly, though.

Be prepared for a bit of break in before you carry it.

I've since polished the required parts with 600 grit and both feed without a hint of trouble. We went through a half brick of old PMC Zappers from my survival stash recently and of the four misfires, none was weapon related.

Would I buy another one? Sure thing! I trust Taurus. That weapon's been getting a lot of good press in the reviews, too.

while you're somewhat drawn to stable, does not destroy definitely, does not could have the hammer touched and average balk why do no longer you merely get a Smith & Wesson double-action .38 high quality revolver - something alongside the lines of a style 10 or style sixty 4? the two one is simplicity itself to apply: merely element and pull the set off. You get six photographs with +P ammunition and you're able to shoot much low priced .38 particular all day long to get used to the gun. Loading is easy: swing out cylinder, insert cartridges, close cylinder, gun is able to be used. that is elementary to tell if that is loaded, elementary to income to shoot wisely and is regularly the desirable handgun for somebody new to them. in case you get the immaculate style sixty 4, you do no longer even could fret approximately rust, however any gun desires to be stored clean. i think of too many human beings neglect the revolver interior the push to autoloaders. A revolver is lots extra straightforward and has shown itself as a private weapon for extra suitable than a hundred and sixty years (the S&W style 10 militia & Police layout is over a hundred years previous). in spite of the undeniable fact that, while you're offered on the belief of a pistol, low balk and quiet appears like a .22 long rifle in a Browning pistol. submit to in suggestions, the two a style of words are relative; any pistol makes a great bang and lots actually have a sonic advance because of the fact the bullet travels swifter than sound. maximum good, modern-day semi-computerized pistols won't destroy definitely and are stable. chosen a acceptance like Beretta, Browning, Colt, FN, Glock, H&ok, Kimber, Ruger, SIG Sauer, Smith & Wesson, Taurus or Walther (there are a variety of of extra) and you're fairly lots certain of a handgun which will final a protracted time. you will probable be happier with a 9 mm than a .40 5 ACP. i like the SIG Sauer P226, FN Herstal FNP-9, Smith & Wesson M&P and Walther P99, yet those are my own possibilities. they are all double-action pistols (you will no longer could cock an vehicle-loader, yet you will could artwork the slide to chamber the 1st around) and weigh sufficient to hose down the balk outcomes. an incredible style of folk like the Glock; that is between the main nicely-known autoloaders obtainable. i do in comparison to them, yet that's merely me.

For the time it would takes someone to retrieve the second gun (in your case a small caliber 22), you could have used a "Speed Loader" and stayed with the same caliber...you are familiar with.

I have a 642 and carried it with 2-speed loaders but, today I rely on my Glock G23 with extra 15rd mags or my shoulder rig and G35 (my favorite) with extra 15rd mags. Now that's a total of 45 rounds of powerful 40 cal. S&W Vs. 15 rounds of 38 spl. +p .

Source(s): Lifetime member of GSSF.

yes, they are manufactured on the same dies as BERETTA

Source(s): avid gun collector