What math subject can I teach for 5 minutes?

I have to present something about math for 5 minutes to my calculus BC class. I was thinking about doing like statistics since I am taking that too. Any ideas?

Favorite Answer

I'd do a real quick run through of the basic two non-Euclidean geometries: Hyperbolic geometry and elliptic geometry. They don't require any calculations, only conceptions. Being geometry centered there are many visuals you could include. The exercises are purely mental in trying to conceive of these models and this exercise can be treated as metaphoric of many things in life. Non-euclidean geometry was key to the discoveries of the most popular scientist of all time- Einstein. I think it's a wonderful subject that will inspire many and be fun for most.

• Sean H

Five minutes is not very long! There's a kinda neat way to estimate the value of pi experimentally using statistics by dropping needles. Here's a link:

http://www.mste.uiuc.edu/reese/buffon/buffon.html

You might be able to do this in five minutes (not do the actual experiment, but at least explain how it works).

series and sequences. Taylor Series, etc.

Explain the methods for finding out if they are convergent or divergent. And explain the ratio test. I just finished Calc 2 in College and the class average for the test on series was pretty bad, so I'm sure that this subject will help your classmates if they are as confused as we were.

Matrices always fascinated me.