Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 1 decade ago

do you have to pay an online broker a commission for buying and selling the same stock?

If I have only $4,000 to invest, should I invest it in only one stock through one transaction to minimize this expense?

which online broker would you recommend in this situation?

• ZORCH
    Favorite Answer

First thing, you pay by the transaction. About $10.

Second, if you only have $4000, think about dividing it into two, or better, three stocks. That will protect you from a single disaster.

Now, the math. If you go with three positions at $10 fee per purchase and eventually $10 fee per sales, you pay a total of $60 for the whole thing, right? And that is only a little more than 1% of the $4000. So, forget it. I clearly remember the "olde days" when it would cost hundreds in fees for a full service broker, but those days are long gone and you can just forget the commissions. Heck, 1%? Also, don't consider the amount of shares to be important. The on-line brokers don't care if you buy 100 shares, 10 shares, or 43 shares. It will still be a ten spot per transaction. And there are plenty of decent $20 - $30 stocks out there. So, pick the stocks you like, get the charts and take some care about the timing of the purchases and buy what fits into your $4000.

And, last, I don't mind at all if you make a fortune.

Source(s): 30+ years trading

yes, to buy you pay around 10 bucks and to sell and 10 bucks depending on your broker

You want something for nothing.

No. (If your broker is Zecco)