Can you use frozen fruit for winemaking?

We have a pear tree and I want to try making pear wine, but I dont think I will be able to do so before the end of the growing season. If I freeze the fruit, would I beable to thaw it and use it later?

Favorite Answer

Yes I have had good luck with that. . Freezing can also bring out more of the flavor as it will break down the cell walls a little in the fruit. Ice wine really started as grapes that were still on the vine after the winter sets in, they were on the vine as long as possible so they were sweeter. In that light it is best to pick your fruit when it is dead ripe and freeze it in batches then mix it together to get the amount that you want. Hope this helps

You can, but the taste would be kind of vinagery. Frozen food tend to absorb all the smells and keep it after they are thawed. The freeze bite on the pears will also contribute to the acidic taste.

Source(s): What you can do is keep the pears in alcohol, I mean like brandy, cognac, the alcohol is a preservative an keeps all the fruit's flavor.

I can't imagine you having the equipment to harvest a whole tree.!!!

you might make 3 or 4 small batches as the fruit ripens.

then blend them.

www.thebeveragepeople.com

I am not sure you can because you have to fement it and frezzing pears are already going to make them mushy.

Sounds logical

Frozen fruit hards my toes when i try to stomp it

Maybe....that's how ice wine is made from frozen grapes, and it's sweeter

i dont know anything about wine. or wine making for that matter,

but i think it wouldnt make that good of a wine.

dont listen to me though!

yeah i do it just steer it up and get drunk