'94 Ford Explorer. ATF in oil?

'94 Ford Explorer V6 4X4 I've asked mechs. about this and they all say it's not possible for ATF to leak into the engine, basically I must be an idiot who's not paying attention to what he's pouring and where. I agreed that it shouldn't be possible and assumed I made a mistake. Since... show more '94 Ford Explorer V6 4X4

I've asked mechs. about this and they all say it's not possible for ATF to leak into the engine, basically I must be an idiot who's not paying attention to what he's pouring and where. I agreed that it shouldn't be possible and assumed I made a mistake.

Since then I've changed my oil 6 times very carefully. Reading the labels and smelling the oil before pouring it in.

Also I have had to add ATF to the trans. about 1-2qt. per week.

When I drain the engine oil. there has been way too much and it's reddish and smells like ATF.

So don't bother telling me it's not possible and start looking outside the box and consider how it might be possible.

Let me repeat: THIS IS HAPPENING

How MIGHT it happen?

Thanks for anything you can think of.
Update: it has been smoking like crazy. I do know where to put the fluids. I've been driving this thing for 8 years and changing fluids myself. this has only been for the last 6 months. I have never seen a puddle underneath the vehicle yet the ATF is always lower than it was yesterday. Also the transmission... show more it has been smoking like crazy.
I do know where to put the fluids. I've been driving this thing for 8 years and changing fluids myself. this has only been for the last 6 months. I have never seen a puddle underneath the vehicle yet the ATF is always lower than it was yesterday.
Also the transmission doesn't seem to have 2nd gear. but it's been like that for about 3 years and I'll buy something easier on gas before I spend $1000+ to replace it
Update 2: this has only BEEN happening for 6 months, I've been changing the fluids the whole eight years.