Chest pain resulting from acid reflux?

I have had acid reflux for about 8 years now. It started when I was drinking a Pepsi and the bubbles expanded in my throat, causing severe pain. The heartburn started pretty much right after that, but I had chest pain associated with it for about 4 years. This past year has been the worst for the pain. The... show more I have had acid reflux for about 8 years now. It started when I was drinking a Pepsi and the bubbles expanded in my throat, causing severe pain. The heartburn started pretty much right after that, but I had chest pain associated with it for about 4 years. This past year has been the worst for the pain. The doctor has me on omeprizole and it really helps the heartburn. I have been taking it for 3 months and still have chest pain.

What can be the problem causing the pain and is there any treatment?
Update: I've tried a few other meds and they haven't worked well. Prilosec works very well. Could it be that I need to give it more time or are there other issues that can cause the pain, resulting from reflux?
Update 2: I'm 40. I do have to stay away from certain foods; ie pasta, lasagna, chocolate, etc. I am very disciplined on what I eat. Things were very irritated for a long time. It still feels like I have a lump in my throught sometimes with the pain. Beside that, I'm in good shape.