12VDC power supply for backyard stereo?

I want to install a car stereo unit in my outdoor barbeque. 12VDC 10A power supplies are expensive.

Can I set up a car battery permanently hooked up to a trickle charger to act as my 12VDC power supply?

Best Answer

I would do it, but not leave the charger hooked up. Just charge the battery when needed. Unless you are running a large amp, it wont drain a battery that fast.

The others are right about the voltage dropping under load and yes it is ok to use a power supply with a higher amperage rating and probably desirable because if you 'pull' too much you risk dropping the voltage below 12v.

• oldguy

why? if it really takes the full 10 amps, just go with a straight battery charger and forget about the battery. you might need to install a couple of filter capacitors to clean up the 12v dc a bit more.

go find your self a old pc in the trash and gank the power supply and tie into the 12vdc lines.

You can, but the trickle charger will destroy the battery if left connected.

Use a portable battery pack. For example, www.sportsmanguide.com, item #FX7X-99098 for $69.97.

Yes, It will work perfectly.