Why does it smell like gas when I turn my car off?

I have a 1997 Dodge Intrepide, 6cylinder. My CHECK ENGINE light is on and it blinks more often then not when I'm driving through town. A couple of times it has felt like it was pulling when I would get to about 30-40 mph. Also when I turn my car off after I've been driving for a while it smells like gas bad. As much as I LOVE the smell of gas I dont like this!!!! PLEASE PLEASE help me!!??

Favorite Answer

fuel leak . take to a dealer to have checked.

can be very dangerous

no car made for the last 15 years or so should you EVER smell gas. it just shouldn't get out. Answers suggesting bad evap cannister or lines are right on. also check your exhaust pipe and make sure heat shields if any are in place. Could be cooking your tank. Check top of tank for seals around fittings and guage plate etc. you should be able to sniff around and locate it.

• rat396

The MIL blinking means that you have a misfire that can cause damage to the catalytic convertor. (Type A Misfire). Have it checked immediately by a reputable service shop.

Source(s): ASE CMAT L1

ok since your check engine light is on it is time to have the intrepide serviced by the dealer cuase there r alot of codes that have to be check so please get it to the dealer soon

you need to have it checked to make sure it hasn't ruptured a gas line or something on it,also make sure the gas cap is on real tight , its very possible that it may be leaking around the fuel injectors,and that may be where the smell is coming from on it,have it checked to be sure ,good luck with it.

Source(s): been a certified mechanic for 36 yrs.

my car smelled like gas,until i changed the filter in the charcoal canister,it should be on the bottom of the canister,or the canister is bad.

you need to have it adjusted the fuilinjecters have it tunedup and it should go away ?