Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Any suggestions?

Any good book too read out there that you think I should read? Any kind, I'm pretty bored. I'll take any suggestions.

Favorite Answer

Here is a list of awesome authors:

Sherrilyn Kenyon-------(anything by her is a good read)

Kresley Cole------------(Immortal After Dark series)

J.R. Ward----------------(Black Dagger Brotherhood series)

Marjorie M. Liu---------(Dirk & Steele series)

Angela Knight----------(Mageverse series)

Jacquelyn Frank-------(Nightwalkers series)

Lynn Viehl---------------(Darkyn series)

Nora Roberts----------(Circle Trilogy, Three Sisters Island Trilogy, Irish Jewels Trilogy, Donovan Legacy books, and Key Trilogy)

Lucy Monroe-----------(Moon Awakening)

Karen Marie Moning---(anything by this author)

Gena Showalter-------(just about anything she writes)

• Lauren

Anyone would probably like the Artemis Fowl series (Eoin Colfer) if they gave it a chance:

Artemis Fowl

Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident

Artemis Fowl: The Eternity Code

Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception

Artemis Fowl: The Lost Colony

The book's main characters are 12-year-old (by the end of TLC he is technically 17) Irish criminal mastermind Artemis Fowl; Captain Holly Short, elf and first female officer in the Lower Elements Police Recon squad (AKA LEPrecon); Domovoi Butler, Artemis's bodyguard; and others, including Commander Julius Root of the LEPrecon and kleptomaniacal dwarf Mulch Diggums.

An awesome series! The first three are being made into movies.

That is a pretty open ended question; I mean the posssibilities are limitless, aren't they? Let's start out with the basics and move out from there:

The Oedipus Cycle by Sophacles (ok I'm a tradtional)

The Odyssey by Homer

OK we've done the greeks--moving on.....

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

The Grapes of Wrath or East of Eden by John Steinbeck

Romeo and Juliet, Much Ado about Nothing, Richard the Third, Othello, Hamlet, Macbeth, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and the Sonnets of William Shakespeaere;

any of the poetry of Pablo Neruda, One Who Walked Alone by Novalyne Price Ellis; The Diaries of Anais Ninn, The Diary of Anne Frank, The poetry and literature of Louise Eldrich, The Color Purple or anything by Alice Walker, Beloved by Toni Morrison, Their Eyes Were watching God by Zora Neale Hurston, The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan, Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole, ......I could go on and on, dude. And this is just the old old school stuff....

You could try:

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

the Maximum Ride books by James Patterson

the Uglies Trilogy By Scott Westerfeld

The Decoding of Lana Morris by Tom and Laura McNeal

Double Idenity by Margret Peterson Haddix

Witch Child By Celia Rees

Hope this helps!

• Ava

Answered a question just like this and my answer is the same- 1/ Mister God, This is Anna (true story about a little girl that was found) 2/ Bless Me Father (True story about a young man just going into the Priesthood.) 3/ Watership Down (Fantasy about the adventures of a group of rabbits).Don't remember the authors but well worth finding. Ask your librarian. These can be enjoyed by any age group.I hope many of you will look into these. You won't regret it, I'm sure.

Here's a list!

The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

The Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R.Tolkien

Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

These are all books that I either read or had read to me, and really enjoyed. All of them are set in the past, too, but they're wonderful. I don't know what kinds of books you enjoy, but I hope you try one of them.

Sigh..........a way of life, gone with the wind.

:-)

If you like adventure read The Walking Drum by Louis L'Amour. It's a book about 1000 ad with a guy that goes on a quest to find his father. It was the last book that Mr L'Amour wrote before he passed away and it was a very good one.

I just got finished reading The Last Days (the sequel to Peeps) by Scott Westerfield. it is about vampires and the "plague" of vampirism sweeping through New York. Another good book by him is Uglies. All are easy reads, and excellent books.

My books would be simple but they're my favorite.

"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho

"The Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom

But if you're really bored and would like to do some heavy reading, get books by JRR Tolkien and S. Rushdie. =)

• Jax

I've NEVER been a reader, but we bought the Harry Potter books for my 4 year old and I started reading them - I couldn't put the first one down! They are very well written and very interesting...even if you think you don't have an interest in that sort of stuff.

I would highly recommend it!