Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

Court decisions in the trial of John Peter Zenger (1735) and the case of New York Times Co. v. United States?

Court decisions in the trial of John Peter Zenger (1735) and the case of New York Times Co. v. United States (1971) strengthened

1 - freedom of religion

2 - freedom of the press

3 - due process rights

4 - the right to counsel

Favorite Answer

2. Freedom of the Press

The trial of John Peter Zenger ended on August 5, 1735, when the twelve New York jurors returned a verdict of not guilty on the charge of publishing seditious libels, despite the Governor's hand-picked judges presiding. Zenger's attorney had successfully argued that Zenger's articles were not libelous because they were based on fact.

The New York Times v. United States ruling made it possible for the New York Times and Washington Post newspapers to publish the then-classified Pentagon Papers without risk of government censure.

Problem is Adam B is right. There are people at home who are saying to themselves...."heck I could not name a Supreme Court decision case of the top of my head either" so they think she is fine. Yet, they are not running for VP. I want my President and VP to be smarter than me....and I could name a few off hand.... As for the media ignoring Obama and Biden gaffes....they are not ignored but the media is not all over them in the same way because they are not sheltered like Palin. Palin has given 3 interviews and Biden has given too many to count. Their interviews are a dime a dozen hers and few and far between and we have all day to tear each one to shreds.

• hover

John P Zenger

due process right baby