Is it true that Afrikaans and black South Africans distrust/dislike white English South Africans?

What would be the reason?

Favorite Answer

Something to keep in mind is that there are a LOT of English speaking people in SA who do not feel Afrikaans or English, only South African.

There may be a misconception amongst Afrikaners (and in other cultures in SA) that because you speak English you feel some sort of an allegiance to England.

This could not be further from the truth. There are in fact only a small percentage of English speakers who are eligible for a British passport or who feel some bond to the UK.

In my case, my father is German (I have an extended family in Germany, however I feel virtually no bond to Germany either), but my mom´s side has been in SA for many many generations, with English, French and Afrikaans heritage.

I feel only one thing, South African, and the fact that my mother tongue is English is purely arbitrary.

I do feel that there has at times been a little friction between some Afrikaners and some English.

I can think of some reasons:

1) Afrikaners have been more willing to speak English than English willing to speak Afrikaans. Afrikaners would generally have to speak English in social situations within a mixed group of English and Afrikaners.

2) Government positions were reserved almost exclusively for Afrikaners (accompanied by a certain resentment by the English - and of course the other African cultures.) This also brought one culture, the Afrikaners, exclusively into the line of fire with regards to Government policies and incompetencies.

3) The English also created their own economic community, with English speaking companies favouring English speaking employees.

These have been my experiences, feel free to add, or disagree.

I do also feel that now, more than ever before, the relationship between English speakers and Afrikaans speakers is the best it has ever been.

It´s great when you hear English speaking people (overseas and at home) bragging about essentially Afrikaans things like boerewors, biltong, Ouma´s rusks etc. etc.

But then, like I said, I´m South African first and don´t really think of those things as being from Afrikaans or English culture but just from MY culture.

• Odie

I grew up in SA as the the child of Mozambicans (Portuguese) parents. We were welcome by the English but the Afrikaans seemed to see us as second class citizens. They appeared to think (incorrectly) that they were superior to us. As a result I grew up English into the society that I was welcomed into (even though I went to a bi-lingual school). I wouldn't say that the Afrikaans and African community dislike/distrust the English any more than they dislike/distrust each other. Nowadays I would say we get along better than ever.

I am a white English speaking South African.

In 1982 having returned to SA from UK to stay, I was beaten by the SAP so badly that my wife did not recognise me, I was then thrown into prison and charged with attacking 4 policemen (who in their right mind would do this?) and charges were made pertaining to suppression of communism. When on bail I had to leave (escape) my country of birth forever as they cancelled my case every month until I had nothing left, having sold everything for legal fees.

.

I wonder what Tsepo or Sam were doing during the struggle.

A lot of white English speaking people had a lot to do with your freedom but you are right we were seen to have another motive that escapes me.

I am happy now and love my new country.

I cannot agree with the things that happened during the Boer war but then I am amazed by the way some Afrikaners ( please note I say SOME and I include my best friend now living in Perth Aust.) still blame the English for that part of history that happened over a century ago but you so often here them say that they were not to blame for apartheid as they were too young.

As for the rest I agree with turniton5

Edit: One thumbs up none down?

What is the problem? I would like answers from the anti- English group. I don't care what you think. tell me .

Truth is that you want to pat each other on the back and pretend all is well in paridise.

Truth is you are 10 years away from Zimbabwe and it is because people like Sam and Tsepo think that colour is important. I did not fight for 20 years for majority rule to get

total idiots in power.

You have democracy now you need a voting public that votes on issues as apposed to race. (do you vote on issues? or race ) mabey this should be a question. Would you answer.

I have noticed that there are a few regulars that won't stand up for an old Hippy.

Sam & co, I don't expect you to like me but give me the respect that I am due.( as an EnglisH SPEAKING SAFRICAN)

You have hit on the fundamental problem of S.A. and our ultimate downfall. Obsession with labels. Those that don't fit are outcasts. I am half very plummy English half well known broederbond. Only girl in private school in veldskoon. Mother ostracized for life for marrying an Englishman. Too earthy for the English, too plummy for the Afrikaner. I have 3 nationalities. I am however,SOUTH AFRICAN. We have to stand together.

• SAgirl

Some of them yes

I would say because english people in south africa thinks that they rule the world and that are superior to the other people living is south africa

I have seen english people who have a little afrikaans in them disliking the pure english people just because of their attitude

not everybody

i am Afrikaans and my hubby English and i love him.....

but some people might dislike the English purely because of the Boer war and what the English did to the Afrikaans people

Oh but hey! I'm a white English South African and I'm nice and trust worthy!

It's too cruel!

Hey GW - there's a perception in SA that English South Africans are sneaky and 2-faced and so u can't trust them. Unlike the Afrikaans who are more straight forward - either they like u or not.

These are just generalisations. There are plenty of exceptions to the rules, like many of my best friends.

Source(s): www.sammokorosi.blogspot.com

I am English-speaking with both parents Africaans-speaking.

Turniton5 and JohnnyHawkyns have said it all and I agree.

It's this kind of collectivist thinking that created apartheid and it's equally evil ideological opposite, the ANC.