Dani B asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 1 decade ago

Do digital cameras lose picture quality over time?

My digital camera is close to 4 years old, and does not seem to be taking as nice of quality pictures as it has in the past. Can I lose quality in time?

Favorite Answer

Theoretically it shouldn't, but there are many things that can affect a camera's image quality and which get worse over time.

One would be dust accumulation on the sensor which leads to resolution loss, pixels of false colors, noise, spots.

Worn-out moving parts can lead to the sensor moving off its original position, which can lead to out of focus images, blurry and distorted images.

Improper maintenance can lead to blown-out receptors on the sensor, which can lead to blank spots on the image, false-color pixels and resolution loss.

If you camera is a compact camera (lens not interchangeable) then dust might have accumulated inside the built-in lens, which can lead to noisy, blurry and distorted images.

Also the lens coating might be scratched or gone altogether which makes your images more susceptible to distortion or false colors due to ultraviolet and infrared radiation reaching the sensor. Ultraviolet radiation is known to produce wash-out colors.

There are many ways quality can be lost in time, I suggest you try and take the camera to a service shop and have it checked and fixed.

• Matthew4 years agoReport

3. IR and UV are blocked by a filter over the sensor, not by the lens coatings. Damaged lens coating is harder than this seems to imply (you'd have to use a solvent to remove it), but in any case, the result wouldn't be UV or IR.

You're probably just losing quality because your camera is close to 4-years old, therefore, the components have probably been used enough times that they aren't going to be working as well as they had when you first received your camera.

• Matthew4 years agoReport

What components do you think might wear out with time in a way that would affect image quality?

4 years does not matter. How many pictures have you taken? (That's a rhetorical question, as I doubt anyone knows.) The sensor WILL eventually start to drop out a pixel here and a pixel there and after a while, this becomes noticeable.

It might be your camera card. How old is it and have you used it a lot? Maybe it needs replaced.

• Aliz

I have had mine longer than you have had yours and it seems to take just as good pictures as when I first got it.

I don't think this is feasible