Tom Antar asked in SportsFantasy Sports · 1 decade ago

Does this pitching staff lack an ace?

Im in a 16 team dynasty league (keep all players) in its 3rd year with all teams active. I have Chris Young, Rich Hill, Jered Weaver, Sergio Mitre, Chad Guadin, Aaron Cook, and Scott Baker. I also have a roster spot which I use to pick up spot starters vs the more competitive teams. My era so far this year is under 3.5, but I dont know if guys like Mitre and Gaudin are gonna keep up their excellecnt play. Im 6th right now, but Is this staff good enough or am I gonna need to trade for an ace?

I agree with you Erich. I dont think Im gonna need to make a trade ... and Im thinking Gaudin and Mitre are for real. I watched Gaudin pitch vs the Angels twice and he has a real nice 2 seamer thats nearly untouchable. Mitres era is under 2 for the year (best in nl?). Theyve been great pickups since I had to trade away Ian Snell and Andy Pettite to fix my offense.

Thanks bayridge, heres the rest of my team ...

C - Johnny Estrada

1b - Justin Morneau

2b - Howie Kendrick

Ss - Jimmy Rollins

3b - Adrian Beltre

Lf - Jason Bay

Cf - Gary Matthews Jr

Rf - Aubrey Huff

Util - Julio Lugo

Bench

Ray Durham

khalil Greene

Jason Kubel

Chris Ianetta

DL - Moises Alou

DL - Garrett Anderson

NA (prospects in system) - Billy Butler, James Loney, Josh Fields

Prospects not in system - Andrew McCutchen and Jay Bruce.

I forgot to mention I Have Homer Bailey too.

Now heres where I have a major problem - I have no real closers, but Holds count in this league and I havent lost in that category this year.

Rp- Scott Shields, Rafeal Soriano, Manny Corpas, Jesus Colome, Henry Owens (DL).

Favorite Answer

In a keeper league, Hill and Young are aces.

Gaudin and Mitre: Their BABIP, ERC, and DIPS suggest that they will be able to keep it up. Obviously, expect some drop off, but not too much.

I like your staff a lot for a 16 team league. No trades should be necessary.

I had to edit this. Why do people think Zambrano is still an ace? Don't consider him at all. These other folks obviously haven't done their homework. All the numbers suggest Zambrano's either hurt or (worst case) done as a top fantasy pitcher.

\/ Zito?! An Ace?! he's not even top 4 on his team! \/

You may want to sell high on guys like Gaudin and Mitre. They're playing at their best but who knows if they can keep it up. Try an trade one of those guys plus a decent batter for a pitcher whos may not be doing well right now...but should pick up in the 2nd half of the season - i.e Carlos Zambrano.

You have a nice young pitching staff in an extremely deep league. Be patient. Don't wreck your staff by trading up. Nice young talent here.

Would be nice to see your lineup to get the full scope of your team.

I'd stick with the young talent you already have. Just be prepared to finish in the middle of the pack this year.

You'll need an ace if you want to finish top 5

Examples: Lackey, Haren, Beckett, Kazmir, Halladay,

Zambrano, Peavy, Zito, Santana, Verlander etc.