Phone use at camp(Son's first time)?

My son will be going away to camp this summer and I just received the list of camp rules and one of them is that you are to not bring a cell phone to camp and they are not allowed to use the phone. They stated that they want campers to immerse themselves in camp and become lost in the expirience. Has anyone else sent kids to camp and done this.

Favorite Answer

my wife and i sent all of our kids to camp...our boys go to the young marines....they are not able to take phones or make contact with us of any sort while on the base....its hard at times harder for my wife cause i can sneak on base...(marine myself) and take a peak at them.....its scary at first but its something we as parents have to do.....its a good thing you letting your son go to camp...your letting him grow up a little at a time..you dont want him to think he can't do anything on his own..he has to go through situation like this to better himself for life's hurtles in the future..

Most camps have pay phones that kids can use during breaks to call parents. Also, they will have a telephone that you can call to check on your son.

I would call the camp, explain this is the first camp you have sent your son to, and that both of you would feel comfortable if he could check in with you daily. See if they would allow the cell phone to be sent, or if you can arrange to have him call you nightly at a certain time.

I wouldn't necessarily break the rules - it doesn't set a good example for the kids. If they are that uncooperative and you cannot come up with an answer that is acceptable to you, I would strongly reconsider sending him there. I have to believe you can work it out.

Hope he has a great time!

Source(s): Son gone off to camp two years running.....and I am a mom who can't stand to have him gone ;-)

At camp, there's usually no telephones (except at the office for emergencies). The kids adjust quickly because they're kept busy making new friends, singing, swimming, camping, and doing fun stuff. There may be homesickness, but its part of the growing up experience. If it gets really bad, the counselors and camp director get involved. Calling home isn't usually necessary. My 3 kids have gone to camp every year (my oldest one is on her 10th year my youngest one her 2nd year) and have never mentioned missing their phones. (My oldest and middle girls have cells phone the rest of the year, and can't seem to live without them the rest of the year). It will be good for him, and maybe even for you, to just let go and ditch the cell phone and encourage him be just fine without it.He will be ok, really (you will too!) will have a great time, and realize he doesn't always need to get a hold of you if things aren't going quite right, or to say goodnight, or for you to make sure he's changed his underwear. You will be amazed when he gets back how much more "grown-up" he will seem after just a little time away from home. Without his cell phone. Enjoy :)

I used to go to camp as a kid, and there was no such thing as cell phones, heh. I had a horrible time adjusting the first week I was there, barely met anyone that wouldn't treat me like crud, but not having easy contact with a parent made me reach within myself and stick it out. I ended up going back every year for 6-7 years.

It most likely will be tough for your kid at first, but he will find ways to adapt without a problem. These times away from all contact from parents are real character builders for kids.

• connie

Let him go and have fun. Not sure how old he is, but there is always a emergency phone at camp. Cell phones are really not part of camp life. Most camps have a pay phone so give him change.

Cell Phone

When my niece went to sleepaway camp one of the rules was no cell phones. Her mother allowed her to bring it though, I think that she should be able to keep in touch with her family while she is away. At her camp they allowed her to make phonecalls from a main office, and she just wasn't comfortable talking on the phone with so many people waiting to use it.

Allow your son to bring his phone to camp, but don't make a huge deal of it. Tell him that if he wants to use it he should be in his room, not standing outside for the whole camp to see.

When my niece came home from camp she said that their were lots of other girls with their cell phones, and it really wasn't a big deal, it just meant shorter lines for the girls who were using the public phone.

Generally kids goingaway on camp dont need a phone.Camp co cordinators/teachers have a list of emergency contactsthat you provide if they need to get in touch with you. A good idea.If you are concerned then talk to the leaders since this is his first time.

My girls go to camp every summer and every camp they have ever been to has these same rules.. they will call you in an emergency.. but other than that they encourage you to write to your camper or if they offer bunk notes do those..

u will have no problem this rules are ordinary just sent ur kid and have a fun