promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What's the difference in weather predictions...isolated showers vs scattered showers. Seems the same to me!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

In summary.. scattered showers indicate a slightly higher amount of showers over an area than isolated ones.

"Distribution of showers and precipitation

Few: Indicating timing not an area.

Isolated: Showers which are well separated in space during a given period.

Local: Restricted to relatively small areas.

Patchy: Occurring irregularly over an area.

Scattered: Irregularly distributed over an area. Showers which while not widespread, can occur anywhere in an area. Implies a slightly greater incidence than isolated.

Sporadic: scattered or dispersed in respect of locality or local distribution. Charaterised by occasional or isolated occurrence.

Widespread: Occurring extensively throughout an area."

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

I'm originally from the NW but my family is from the South, and I currently live in the SW. Bridal showers are very intimate unless they are hosted by the bride's church, in which case it becomes a huge event. Either way, a gift from the registry is given at both the wedding and the shower, though most only attend the wedding. If someone attends the shower, they usually get a smaller item and they get whatever they can afford for the wedding. Cash is never given under any circumstances whatsoever because it's seen as very impersonal. Also, there is a gift table at the reception (which usually gets filled up quickly) and an open basket for any cards. I have never once seen any card basket disturbed, even when no one else was paying attention to it, which is why I personally take the stories about cards being stolen with a huge grain of salt. I've never seen gifts stolen either. If you were to put out a cardbox at the reception, whether mimicking a stack of packages or a birdcage or similar, no one would have the slightest clue what to do with it.

• 1 decade ago

Isolated showers mean just that...that the storms are isolated and are not moving in flux with the other cells. These cells can be quite dangerous and spawn tornados.

Scattered showers are showers that are all within the same system, just in different locations. These showers are usually much calmer than the first. This situation is the main reason meteorologists give a percentage chance of rain and is usually applicable with <40% chance of rain.

Source(s): www.weather.gov
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

When the terms isolated and scattered are added to the forecast, it's simply stating the likelihood of precipitation in the forecast area. There is a better chance of showers when scattered showers are forecasted, than if isolated showers are forecasted.

When you see scattered, it means there is a 30-50% likelihood of precipitation, during a specific period of time, at any given point in the forecast area.

When you see isolated, it means there is only a 10-20% likelihood of precipitation, during a specific period of time, at any given point in the forecast area.

Source(s): took meteorology.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Isolated showers occur ONLY in a small area.

Scattered showers are spread over a larger area.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.