What is the difference between a Chevy Camaro and a Camaro RS?

I need to know the difference between the trim of a regular Camaro and a RS. Thank You.

Update:

This is a 1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 clone w/ T-tops.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Don B
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Camaro - base model which comes with a Series II 3800 3.8L V6 engine rated at 200 HP. Prior to 1996, the standard engine was a 3.4L V6 with 160 HP with the 3.8L being an option in mid-1995. A 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic (4L60E) transmission is available. A performance package (Y87) is also available starting in 1996 which includes a posi rear, rear disc brakes, 3.42 gearing in the A4, exhaust pipes/tips on both sides, and sport steering ratio.

RS - appearance package available starting in 1996 for the base Camaro (V6) only. It includes ground effects and an up-level spoiler. "RS" badges are located on the front fenders and rear passenger bumper.

Then, there was the Z28 and the SS above the RS models.

Z28 - high end model which comes with the 5.7L V8 (LT1) engine rated at 285 HP. Prior to 1996, it was 275 HP, but the a second catalytic converter added 10 more HP. A black roof treatment was standard on all 1993 and 1994 Z28s, and 1995 models and later offered a roof that was the same color as the rest of the body as an option. A 6-speed (Borg-Warner T-56) or 4-speed automatic (4L60E) transmission is available. The suspension and brakes are enhanced for improved handling. Two available Preferred Equipment Groups make the car either moderately or fully loaded. "Z28" badges are located on the front fenders and rear passenger bumper. In 1993, an Indy 500 Pace Car version (with automatic transmission) was made with a black and white paint scheme and mutli-colored paint stripes along each side of the car.

SS - available as an upgrade to the Z28 model starting in late-1995 (as a 1996 model). The package include a functional ram air hood scoop and reworked exhaust manifolds resulting in 305 HP and 335 ft-lbs of torque. An optional freer flowing exhaust system brings HP to 315 and torque to 342 ft-lbs. The stock wheels and tires are replaced with 5-spoke 17" ZR-1 style wheels with 275/40ZR/17 tires. Hurst shifter and Torsen differential were available options. Bilstein shocks, stiffer rate springs/bushings, and a larger front sway bar make up the optional Level-II suspension. The stock spoiler is replaced with sleeker looking one. "SS" badges replace the "Z28" badges on the front fenders and rear passenger bumper. All cars were shipped as stock Z28s to Street Legal Performance (SLP) Engineering where the above modifications were made through 1997. After that, GM made the modifications on its own assembly line.

• 1 decade ago

The Camaro is the plain verson. The RS is better known as "Rally Sport" It also has a broad stripe down the center of the car. The stripe is generally white in color. The engine options are minor, but the RS version comes with a different compression ratio, and has more horsepower. You can get all the engine options in a regular Camaro that come in the RS version.

• 6 years ago

I asked because I recently went from a Cadillac CTS to a 2015 Camaro RS. It is a totally different ride/driving experience from the CTS. It has the 4 exhaust pipes and when I "gun" it the engine is really different. Yes, I m a female if you have figured it out by the weird comments. Just want to learn more about this car. Loving it though. SA Lady

• starks
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Camaro Rss

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

whats difference chevy camaro rs chevy camaro ss

• 1 decade ago

Chevy camaro is the brad of car. The RS is the basic stock no extra h.p., nothing. You can get a ss which is more beefed up with extra trimming and all the goodies

• 1 decade ago

I dont know too much, but I believe the "RS" stands for rally sport or something and the car just has better performance parts than a regular camaro...I THINK.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

RS Rally Sport, RS is a step up from the base model and below the z28

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

RS Stands for rally sport. This is what i had and it was custom at the time. It had special pant job, five speed stick which was not all that common in the 1970's, possy back end and could GO.

Never owned a normal camero.

Hope this helps.....

• james
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

The RS has Rally Sports package and trim.

Dealership may be more helpful as to the actual parts by contacting the Parts Department they should be able to give you a list of the parts.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.