How many non-Christians here....?

who have either posted responses or given thumbs up to responses bashing Christians for teaching their children the ways of the Lord and refer to it as "Child abuse" smoked when they were pregnant (women only for this part, obviously) and continue to smoke around their young children, FORCING them to breathe in second hand smoke - especially in confined areas like a vehicle? You choose to kill yourself slowly, and you are taking your child with you whether they want to go or not. THAT truly IS child abuse - or at the very least, child endangerment! I'm sure there are probably Christians who do this too - but I haven't seen any posts by Christians accusing non-believers of child abuse for teaching their children the beliefs (or non-beliefs) of THEIR choice. At least children who are raised in the faith have the FREEDOM to make their OWN choices about their beliefs as adults. Children who are repeatedly exposed to 2nd hand smoke don't GET a choice about their health.

Badliberal - did you even READ the question? I said I'm sure there are Christians who do this too...

me, myself, and I :) - not a lecture. It's a legitimate question. Simply put - WHY is it ok for non-Christians to accuse Christians of child abuse for raising their children in the faith when the child has a choice whether or not to follow that faith when they grow up, but NOT ok to accuse people of child abuse for forcing their children to breathe their second hand smoke, when the child has NO choice about that?

I think I should probably add that you will NEVER see a post from me claiming that atheists don't have morals. I don't make judgment calls - especially about people I don't know personally. But many of the answers I'm getting are full of assumptions and only a couple of real answers to the question. Many of you are judging me based on a question I asked about an observation I made. Don't get on ME for derogatory posts that other people have made. I didn't say they didn't exist - I said I didn't SEE them. I'm specifically asking the question to non-Christians who HAVE accused Christians of child abuse just because they don't happen to agree with Christian beliefs. It's the same as saying "my way or no way" which is exactly what we Christians are constantly being condemned for when we express OUR beliefs.

OK...apparently I have to wait 4 hours to formally choose the best answer, but right now, ZOOM gets the 10 points because I believe he actually understood what I was trying to ask. At least, his answer comes across that way. I was not angry when I posted this question, so I apologize if that's the way it came off. But it's wrong to accuse people of child abuse just because you don't agree with the faith of their family. Child abuse is a VERY serious matter to me, and so is my faith. I don't personally know any parents - Christian or otherwise - who FORCE their beliefs down their children's throat, so I can not relate to the accusations of child abuse against Christians that have been made by non-believers. I also do not support derogatory posts against non-believers by those who claim to be Christians. True Christians shouldn't treat people like that - Jesus didn't. It's not OUR place to judge others. God bless those who took the time to answer. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

child abuse is rule by fear

i know christian parents who do this - they scare their kids into thinking if they dont follow their parents then they will burn forever

that sucks

and they smoke too! double whammy!

My Mom smoked through her pregnancy, and both my parents smoked in a tiny house my whole childhood, and while I can't run long distances (I blame that on not being in tip-top shape) I am fine.

For the record I don't smoke (well cigarettes at least wink wink).

But I do believe taking children to a place where they are told to "not trust their own understanding" would be worse than second hand smoke.

• Sweetie, why on earth do you assume that we don't?

You're coming across as a self-righteous brat. I know that's not what you intend, but it's what you sound like.

Calm down, get off your soap box and let's have a conversation. Seems like someone's gotten your dander up with the child abuse line, but that's no reason to lobe completely unjustified and inaccurate accusations at us. OK?

First of all, there are PLENTY of "Christians" who smoke, drink, and even do drugs so I don't think that it's fair that you would systemically group non-Christians into this category.

Secondly, I do not see how brainwashing an inocent child into a single belief set gives them "freedom" to make their own choices. If anything is severely limits their freedoms via intimidation and guilt.

thanks for the very nice,christlike lecture hun...you're not condescending at all :)

no i don't smoke or drink at all.never

<edit>

do you christians even REALIZE how hypocritical you are?

you talk about humility,not being judgemental,kindness ...and you randomly accuse atheists of not having morals....equate the average atheist to stalin and hitler (oh he wasn't a christian at the time....he became an atheist..whatever!)

people like you are pathetic .period.

<edit>

oh you haven't seen such posts by christians have you? observer bias perhaps...i'll give some examples

1)atheists have no morals so their children grow up like little devils

2)atheists,don't you love your children? how can you teach them that being hurtful to people is good?

3)why do many children with atheist parents grow up depressed?

want me to continue?

<edit>

your "legitimate question" is just a sad pathetic rant to vent out your anger....read what you wrote again in that addition.it implies that all people who say that christianity is a form of brainwashing,also smoke and encourage their children to smoke as well.....

*smoking in front of children is wrong

*so is scaring a child into believing in something with threats of eternal hell if they don't

now i know you're going to say "we don't threaten them,we teach that God is a loving God " etc...i'm sure you teach the loving god part,but you cannot deny that you teach them that unbelievers go to hell to face eternal torture....EVERY single christian parent i know HAS said this.

that IS abuse.

Uhhh matters what kind of christian. There are jahova witnesses...they are the ones that try to shove stuff down your throat and make you belive things that aren't true.

I am a Catholic..i don't really go to church (only on holidays) and I don't force religion apon anyone and I don't know any other catholics like that...My parents let me choose what I want to believe.

LEAVE US SMOKERS ALONE! We're getting enough crap.

For the record, being a complete and total addict, I would have smoked when pregnant.

I've just never understood where the bad is with a low birth weight.

I've seen firsthand many Christian families where the adult children are shunned for choosing to change their religion.

I am a muslim and i dont give thumbs down to any christians. I believe that any one who wants to reach God should be encouraged where ever he or she is coming from!

• Kallan

lol so we can compare non-christian smokers to those who get a thumbs down for locking their 3 year olds in a closet until they 'get saved' because 'this is what hell is like'?

I think it's time for you to take a yahoo break, dear. Your priorities are a mess.