Is it terrible to tell a kid she can't go away to college?

I'm sorry dear, we can pay for your tuition and books but we just can't afford for you to live away from home for 4 years. If you're really set on going 6 hours away you're going to need to pay your own room & board. Is that really awful? There are 3 universities and 5 colleges within an hours... show more I'm sorry dear, we can pay for your tuition and books but we just can't afford for you to live away from home for 4 years. If you're really set on going 6 hours away you're going to need to pay your own room & board.

Is that really awful? There are 3 universities and 5 colleges within an hours drive and the kid in question already has a car. There are also 2 more kids in the family who are going to need an education.

I think tuition and books is very generous, there are alot of kids who have to get student loans...I know I did.