Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Eating healthy for cheap?

I'm always promising myself that I'm going to eat healthier(more fish, green veggies, fruit, whole grains, etc.) but then during the day, it's just so much easier and CHEAPER to get a little fast food. You can get out of those places for 3 bucks and you feel full

I'd eat healthy if it wasn't so expensive and time consuming.

Plus, I don't need to lose weight. I'm at a good weight. And I don't want to be hungry all the time.

Any ideas out there on simple things I can make that are healthy, taste good, and fill me up? I'm not the greatest cook in the world so anything too tricky, I'll probably screw up. Or any healthy restaurant ideas?

Favorite Answer

There is nothing wrong with having a quick McD or BK hamburger for lunch as long as it isn't one of the "buffet size" ones.

The rest of the day, eat healthy.

Try to avoid processed foods.. If you don't have easy access to fresh veggies, try to use frozen instead of canned (which leaches most of the good nutrients out)... Lay off the frozen or micro wave stuff. They are loaded with salt and are way too expensive. For the price of one of them, you could make fresh meals that might last for 2 days.

I always pack my own lunch. I refuse to pay 3-7 dollars a day for lunch - it's too darned expensive and really adds up over the month. I love peanut butter and jelly with a banana and a small thermos of milk. I also take leftover pasta to heat in the micorwave at work. If I have made chicken, I take a piece or two of it for lunch. Once in awhile I might by some deli smoked turkey and turn that into a sandwich on good rye bread with Dijon mustard and some lettuce. I don't each much deli meats because of the sodium content but once in a while won't hurt you..and will still be cheaper in the long run. 2 or 3 pieces of fruit can also be a good lunch..maybe an apple, pear and a banana or plums or whatever is in season and cheap.

At least once a week, I take a coupla sticks of celery, put a little cream cheese on them and take those for afternoon snack or when I get the munchies.

There are many ways you can eat healthy and on the cheap - and save LOTS of greenbacks to spend on something fun on the weekends.

Oh my gosh, I hear you! It is always so much easier (and tastier) to grab some fast food. Being healthy is time-consuming and sometimes expensive, but it's definitely worth it!

Since you're at a good weight, don't worry about splurging sometimes. Everything is okay in moderation.

I'm not the greatest cook, so mostly I just put my meals together. Here is a list of my favorite healthy foods:

Whole wheat pitas

Sliced deli turkey

Low-fat cheese slices

Cherry tomatoes

Carrot sticks

Hummus

Red pepper slices

Cucumber slices

Apples

Bananas

Peanut butter

Low-fat cottage cheese

Luna bars

Granola

Kashi cereal

Tuna

Whole wheat pasta

Salmon

Corn on the cob

Black beans

Brown rice

Low-sodium salsa

Spinach

Strawberries

Grapes

Oatmeal

Almonds

All of these foods are easy to prepare and extremely good for you. Of course, this isn't all I eat. I certainly eat food that isn't so healthy for me, but I balance it out with nutritious stuff.

As for restaurant ideas, Subway is always a good option, especially the sandwiches that are under 6 grams of fat. I'm also a fan of Chipotle, which I know isn't the healthiest, but if you get the salad option - lettuce, black beans, salsa, chicken, and corn - it's pretty low in calories and fat.

You can get nutrition facts for basically any restaurant online, so think ahead and look at your options so you can know what is healthy and what isn't.

Good luck, and happy eating!

Try Subway, a turkey sub is around 300 calories provided that you don't get any cheese or mayo or any of that extra stuff besides lettuce, tomato, and maybe some pickles.

Or, if you must get the other kinds of fast food, get a grilled chicken sandwich and hold the mayo, and lose the bun if you can, too. Also, try a salad without the dressing, or with low-calorie dressing.

At Taco Bell, always order things "fresco style" which will replace your cheese with salsa and save you a lot of calories.

There are some healthy alternatives, you just have to look for them and be a little creative.

Eating healthy doesn't need to be time consuming. Instead of fast food try going to places like Subway and other places that offer healthy options. Some good healthy snacks include a handful of almonds, fresh fruit, low fat yogurt, and even granola bars. They will fill you up between meals. You can also prepare some healthier meals for yourself like grilled chicken or seared fish. All of these things are pretty low in fat and calories.

Good luck! : )

• ruthie

A lot of fast food places now have dollar menus. On these menus they have side salads, baked potatoes, chili,and other tasty good food choices. Subway has low fat choices. At Subway you can get a 6 inch sub and ask them to load it up with all kinds of salad mixtures for a healthier choice. Drink water it is better for you any way than you can spend the extra on the food. Ask for whole grain breads and you have an extra plus in nutrition,too.

Great post! I totally understand how you feel. I'm also trying to lose weight and I found this great product which is working for me. You can check the website at

http://www.hyperl.info/ , I had a free trial and paid less than 7.00$ shipping and handling. Best of luck!

JAMBA JUICE!! it's all healthy stuff! you get varieties of different shake and they even add vitamins or proteins if you want it. There's a lot of them in California.. duno other places