Would anyone be able to explain to me how to make a lei out of dollar bills?

I have seen it many times when I lived on the islands and know I would like to make one for my nieces graduation. please help.

Favorite Answer

The way I do it is to fold the flat bill like a fan, then fold in half and tape into a circle. Make dozens of these circles, and string them on a ribbon or decorative floral wire. To make the lei fuller, with fewer dollars, space folded colored tissue in between.

(See picture on link below).

# Fold the bill in half horizontally, then fold forward and backward to create fan pleats.

# With the folded paper lying flat, pinch the middle and bring the two ends together.

# Each circle is made using four bills folded in this fashion. Place them together in a circle, fanning them out and affixing a small adhesive tab on the end of each segment to attach it to the adjoining bill.

the first website listed is in Spanish (I think!?) but the pictures are very good!

~the second website is for money roses