Is South Africa still a champion of human rights?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It's interesting. SA has so much going on for human rights in the form of NGOs and such within the country but they are not so involved beyond borders. I just got back from the Session of the African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights and SA did not have a delegate there. They were in the ranks of many other countries, that includes the terrible Eritrea. Guessing by this article and my observation of their absence, they are slipping.

Source(s): 7 years as a dedicated human rights advocate
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Throughout its history the mention of human rights and South Africa in the same sentence and context would be guaranteed to raise derisory laughter. There is so much evidence against the current Government in its support for some of the worst human rights abusers on the Planet that only the previous Nationalist Party surpasses it.I can only think that in the phrasing of the question the Politician concerned was attempting a non confrontational approach but it hardly paints the correct picture.

• MichM
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

How can South Africa be a champion of Human Rights when everyday its own citizen's rights are being violated and they are doing nothing to protect them.

They need to clean up their own act before they get involved in affairs of other countries.

Has the definition of human rights changed? Maybe im uninformed. I mean human rights here means that a man can bludgeon an old lady to death but he needs to be treated with dignity and respect because he has rights???

Where was the rights of the old lady?

Come on!!!!

This Country is joke!!! Grown men rape 6 month old babies but they have rights!!

Human rights is just a cover to make sure that criminals go free and innocent people get killed!

Why go to any other country to sort out their issues when your issues are much worse. How can you save another country when your own people are suffering?

Unbelievable.

• 1 decade ago

South Africa supports Zimbabwe, Cuba, Gaddafi, China, the Palestinian scum. It allows a woman to be raped every three minutes, has a revolving door policy for murderers and rapists in its prison system and is home to the shocking phenomenon of baby rape.

The media is state controlled, and your president was Soviet trained. The terrorist, Nelson Mandela, counts some of the worst despots - Castro, the aforementioned Gaddafi - as close personal friends and the infrastructure of Johannesburg is slowly being reduced to rubble.

Champion of human rights? What alternate universe are you living in?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Simple, No.

Other than their dispicable diplomacy with regards to Zim and Burma, they were also the first to congratulate the new Nigerian president, after international monitors reported that the voting procedures were majorly flawed.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

ho hum.

the article is one of those that leaves the reader wondering, but i seem to read between the lines that sa is slowly losing favour internationally.

sooner or later the poster child must grow up.

Source(s): the general has spoken.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.