Is throat cancer contangious?

because i took a sip of my dads drink and he has throat cancer..

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

NO !You have nothing to worry about except your father! I will pray for your family!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This is a very good question!

Actually, cancer itself is not contagious.

BUT the risk factors for cancer CAN BE contagious.

One possible risk factor for throat cancer is HPV, or Human Papilloma Virus. Types 16 and 18 are the most likely to cause cervical cancer. Those are included in the new vaccines.

But guess what - if you perform fellatio (oral sex on a man), or perform cunnilingus (oral sex on a woman), you are at risk for developing an oral (or throat) HPV infection (among other things, like gonorrhea). That CAN raise your risk for throat cancer.

So, if your dad got throat cancer the usual way (tobacco and excess drinking), then not to worry. But if he is relatively young (under 50), then you may need to get tested by your doctor.

Throat cancer is likely to become more common as time goes on, as more people are likely to catch HPV. It may be that many cases of head and neck cancer are related to HPV exposure.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No you cannot catch any kind of cancer, but BMAC is definitely correct, if you drink out of his glass, it is hard enough for your Dad to fight off bacteria, germs, infections etc, with cancer. You could make him sicker and more miserable than he already is, but he cannot make you sick by giving you cancer.

I am sorry that your Dad has cancer, hope all goes well. I know someone who had throat cancer, they had surgery, chemo, etc., and that was 10 years ago and he is still here. Good luck.

• 1 decade ago

No types of cancer are contagious. Try not to eat or drink after your dad because his immune system is most likely weak from treatment and medication, so you don't want to pass on the flu or any other illness you may have. Hope your father's treatment goes well and he fully recovers.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

You are safe. Cancer is not contagious.

You should get more information and read more about cancer. Sounds like you have a lot af anxiety.

Try you Dads oncologist or the American Cancer society for infor on CA

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No form of cancer is contagious. But you shouldn't be drinking out of his cups because you could have a virus or bacteria that you are healthy enough to fight, but he's NOT. And you could make him very sick. Get your own glass if you need a drink.

Source(s): FDA researcher
  • 1 decade ago

Sweetie never fear cancer is not contagious. You will not get it from drinking from dads drink,giving him a hug or a kiss. Remember you only have one dad and he may not be arouond long. Showq him how much you love him and treat him no different.

• mel s
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I am very sorry about your dad, but no it isn't contagious. Try not to drink after him though, if he is on meds some of them lower the immune system and there is a chance he will catch colds, etc.. faster, and you may catch those.

• 1 decade ago

there is no cancer in the world that is contagious. cancer is caused by abnormal cell production in a certain area. thats y u have lumps where cancers are. mostly heat and radiation causes cancer as the destroy cells and cuz them to produce abnormally

• 1 decade ago

Cancer is not contagious. Period. That's like saying that if you rub a redhead's skin you'll get her freckles...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

NO IT IS NOT CONTAGOUS AND IT IS OK IF YOU DRINK YOUR DADS DRINK you can onli really get it f you smoke etc etc.... so sorri for your soon to be lost

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.