Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 decade ago

Will he go to a juvenile detention center?

I have just consulted a friend in law enforcement about a case regarding my stepson and him using 20 fake (counterfeit) bus tickets that were used to go and come back from school. The value in all was $35-$40. According to her, this is a class c felony in my state (utter forgery). However, when I asked about the possible punishment, i didn't receive much of an answer because she said that she wouldn't hazard a guess. This is his first and LAST offense and he is pretty a good student (straight A's normally). And he is remorseful. He was caught by a bus driver using them 2 months ago (of course, i didn't out until weeks later), so i don't know whether charges were pressed. There were survelliance cameras on the bus (so they will most likely identify him) and not to mention his fingerprints. What are his chances of being sent to a juvenile detention center or probation? He is planning of pleading guilty, but i think its best that we consult an attorney. thnx

Update:

he's 14

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Zeo
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Chances are that if no charges have been brought up then he may not be charged. On the other hand since you did tell a police officer what happened then they could file charges. Since it has be two months then i wouldn't worry to much. You can always call the judge and ask their advise or talk to the juvenile investigator.

Source(s): Juvenile jail officer
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Wow youre actually one of the experienced people on here arent you, a lot of law enforcement/law questions on here are people trying to get away with things, but you have a solid honest question. Best to do would be to consult with a lawyer, possibly court appointed so it doesnt cost anything, unless you have your own, to get it dropped to a misdemeanor. Usually forgery is always a felony just because....well not many people forge bus tickets. Although assuming that the past is correct, he may just get 3 months probation and community service, or he may get a slap on the wrist.

Hope This Helps!

• 1 decade ago

Juvenile center, unlikely. probation, probably.

This is a minor offense, but it was still an offense. The general idea here, is to make him realize it was wrong, and be determined not to do something like this again. If he does that, then everybody should be happy.

It's a shame that $ 35-40 in fake bus tickets will cost you $ 1000.00 or more in legal fees, but that's what often happens.

• 1 decade ago

If this is his first offense chances are he will get probation pay restitution and do community service.If he hasn't got caught ,you might suggest that he contact the bus company and apologize.Make restitution and offer his time as punishment.[cleaning buses or the parking lot etc]

make him stand up for his crime.If he was turned in he will be arrested

.If you and he go in and admit the mistake to the bus company he might not get a record.If it were me I would try to resolve it without the police.If you feel uncomfortable taking him, go to the company alone and ask to speak to the person in charge. See if you can work out something..By no means cover up for him He will never learn not to break the laws...It will teach him to run to mommy to rescue him.

My son got on the bus without paying once... He did a month of weekends cleaning buses.Nothing is free. We all suffer consequences

Source(s): experience
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Get an attorney so they can have it dropped to a misdemeanor. After that, he will most likely get probation.

Most definitely spend the money on an attorney. You did not say how old he is but over 18, he will have to write on any job application that he was convicted of a felony. It will follow him for the rest of his life.

• 1 decade ago

If he's a good student and never in trouble before; probably probation, fines or first offender program

• Dave
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Contact a lawyer and seek legal advice before it's too late.Some offer a free initial consultation.Make a few calls.

• That is a very serious charge using false documents it will depend upon what the courts want to do.

• 1 decade ago

Probley put on probation, for first off.

• 1 decade ago

best case scenario they will let him off with community service. I would still contact a lawyer though.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.