Happy Fish?

how can i tell if a fish is happy??

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Ghapy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

A happy fish does not exhibit signs of stress - gasping, clamped fins, faded colors, lack of appetite...

A happy fish behaves naturally - to judge this it's good to learn about how the species of fish in question should be behaving. An active fish should be swimming, while there are some fish that do stay in one spot for periods of time naturally.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't think fish feel happy the same humans do, but you can look for a healthy fish.

Generally, the first sign of a problem with fish is either they stop eating or they become very sluggish. Keep a sharp eye for those two signs and that's about all you hope for with your finned friends' mental stability.

Source(s): 20 years in the Aquarium business as an aquarium store owner, a manager of 2 different aquarium stores and most recently owner/manager of professional aquarium maintenance company.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If its tank is clean and well taken care of. If the fish has a mate or friend it is better for them, as well as clean and fresh water plants. I used to work at a pet store in college and believe me it takes a lot to keep fish happy and in cleaning tanks. Also never over feed a fish and never use plain tap water- it will kill them- use conditioner with it at least.

• Mack
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

A fish is happy if it eats, is normally active depending on species, doesn't have any fyed fins, and shows no signs of illnesses.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If its gonna move constantly and stay in a place for rest for sometime and eats food regularly and usually is always on the surface of water/sand/ground

then its happy

• (1)he won't ever nip at other fish

(2)he will eat regularly

(3)he will swim around andd not stay in one place

(4) he will flair his/her tail and flap it up and down

• 1 decade ago

put bigger fish inside, try to make your fish scared, then remove the big fish...from that time onward, your fish will be very happy because no more big fish.

Source(s): www.bigfish-smallfish.com
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.