Beginner Motorcycles, cruiser style, wisdom needed :)?

Whats a good beginner cruiser motocycle? Keeping in mind I don't want to spend more than $3000 for a new one, I'm only 5'1 and weigh 125 pounds and I've never been on a motorcycle. I want a motorcycle that is going to be safe to get me from home to school and work (My work is about 40 miles away). MUST be highway safe and get good MPG. Any words of wisdom? I was looking at the ninja or a sportsbike but they won't be comfortable on a long ride. Let me know!!

I should resate: I find sportbikes uncomfortable, it could be my short legs/arms but I just would like a cruiser better. I am not looking at sports bikes, and I have looked at used but I am looking for anyone who has wisdom of a perticular bike that is a good bike, NOT in the higher range of money and is good for a beg. I was looking at the kawasaki eliminator 125 but I dont think it has enough power to take on 95 everyday. If you know of any specific bike you have or a friend has and likes and would suggest let me know.

Favorite Answer

Look into used. Don't get anything bigger than a 250cc to begin. Look at Suzuki and Kawasaki bikes... that's what I learned on.

bikes are always personal preferance. always.

here are some links to learn more, if you wanna dig. if you just want to take someone's advice as gospel, go right ahead. but this is a decision you need to make, not get it made for you.

I Prefer the EX250 ninja, and a brand new one MSRPs at 2,999. it is the cheapest 250, but buy your 1st one used, you are going to drop it, it might as well be the one you bought used, not the new one. it also gets 55-75MPG. the cruser models are more expensive. Also I am 6'0" tall and wheigh more than you, and this little bikes still achives highway speeds (it maxes between 105-110 with 300lbs on) I rode mine 1600 miles from upstate NY to sothern MO and never once even thought I had "sore-bum-itis". I know you said you don't like sportbikes, but there is some nice info on the ninja250 rider's club FAQs for new riders. and some maintinace how-toos that span beyond the street bike.

and BTW, even the people who like the feel of crusiers give the EX250 high marks. don't just scoff because it's not what you wanna hear. an informed rider is a wise rider.

of all of these bikes(beginner's bike link below) the EX250 is the only one that has been largely unchanged since the late eighties. this means lots of cheap parts when you lay it over. and this bike is by no means a beginner's only bike, as the YouTube video will show.

and the best advice anyone can give, take a motorcycle safety course,the link to find one in your area is below. most motorcycle safety courses use the Ninja to teach you how to ride properly because it is such a cheap bike to fix.

Source(s): Good beginner's bikes: http://motorcycles.about.com/od/roadtest... Motorcycle Saftey courses: http://www.msf-usa.org Kawasaki Ninja EX250 Rider's Club http://www.ninja250.com You tube video: the cam is on a 250, only mod is a Muzzy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkgwilmkd...

Hi Mandy - Actually a new or nearly Honda Rebel should not cost you more than $3000. It's a great little cruiser and I had one for a couple of years. As I got more comfortable riding, I moved up to a Honda VLX600 (a Rebel on steroids LOL but just as comfortable and reliable). It's not so much that sport bikes are uncomfortable, it's the type of bike - some sport bikes are designed so the rider has to lean over the bike, but some bikes (called standard postured) have a nice more or less straight up body posture - it's just a matter of trying some. One to consider is a brand new coming on the market now, Honda CBR 125. Here's a great website you might want to check out http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/compendium/A.htm - they have lots of information on beginner bikes, short rider bikes.....Good luck

Price and power: You can buy a second hand H-D Sportster for under £2,500, if you look around. I'm guessing you want to spend less than that? With the exception of the V-Rod, all Harleys are very, very underpowered. A Sportster makes barely 45bhp and even the Electra-Glides struggle to make 85bhp on a good day. That is well down on power compared to a Victory or a similar Japanese cruiser. Legal: At the age of 19, you will be limited to bikes of less than 33bhp for the first two years after you have passed your full test. With the exception of the Suzuki Savage, all cruisers make more power than that, so you would have to get a restrictor kit fitted. You must pass a C.B.T. (Compulsory Basic Training) course before you can ride on the road at all. You will then be limited to bikes of less than 125cc, until you have passed your full Category A test. Insurance: Impossible to even estimate, because the cost will be unique to you and your circumstances. What anybody else pays for their insurance will have absolutely no relevance to what you will pay. Gear: Buy the best helmet, boots, gloves and jacket that you can afford. What styles and brands you want to wear, is up to you.

A Honda Rebel would be a good bike to start with. They are lighweight (250 cc), stone dead reliable, and very comfortable for shorter folk. Honda Rebels are often used for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation classes (which you should be signing up for), and are usually available at a reasonable price used, since people often upgrade after they get comfortable riding.

After about a year on one, you can step up to a 650 - 800 cc cruiser like the Yamaha V-Star 650, a Triumph Bonneville America, or maybe a Harley Sportster, if that is your thing.

u don't want a sport bike but there is one that is about 3k its a 250 ninja and as for cruisers honda has a 250 around 3000 to 3400 suzuki has one less than honda i think its a 250 and other than of brands which i would not get an off brand cuz hard to find parts for and people to work on them sometimes so go to a bike store that sells a few makes and see which u like the most and make sure u sit on all of them they r not all the same to a t

Alot of good suggestions so far. I've had great success with Honda's. People tend to out grow the Honda Rebels quickly. I'd suggest the Honda VLX 600. And buy USED!!! Don't waste your money on new. Most people take very good care of their bikes. You can easily find a VLX used with low miles for 3K.

If your concerned about the height of any bike, you can lower most with either a lowering kit or after market shocks that are shorter. Both aren't all that expensive.

Good luck.

You can get a new Honda Rebel 250 for about $3100. This would be a great starter. Better yet, find yourself a used Rebel. I just sold a used 02 for $1700. Save some money and the chances that you are going to drop it at least once are very high. Better a used one on the ground as to a new one.

d'OH! Look for a used Yamaha Virago 750. Also look at Kawasaki Vulcan 500, again, used. 3K does not buy you a powerful new motorcycle, sorry.

My motorcycle is a Virago 700. The big problem with long rides is the dinky gas tank, 2.2 gallons, 45mpg. You'd have to fill up every day.

Actually you are incorrect about comfort on a long ride. Sportbikes are surprizingly comfortable on long rides. They are most UNcomfortable around town. For a cruiser, and your size, look for something in the 400 to 650 class. The perfect would be a Honda Rebel, but you probably can't get one even close to new. For a new one in the price range you are looking, you maybe need to check out the scooters. They will do 60mph, are quite reliable and comfortable. You aren't going to be able to get much more for $3000.