What positive or negative things has Brian Cashman done as GM of the Yankees?

Brian Cashman seems incapable of making good decisions regarding pitching. Not winning the Dice-K bid was not his fault, because it was a blind bid. But NOT signing Hideki Okajima after he was recommended by Hideki Matsui, was a complete failure. Okajima is AWESOME, and made the Red Sox stronger. Signing Damon... show more Brian Cashman seems incapable of making good decisions regarding pitching. Not winning the Dice-K bid was not his fault, because it was a blind bid. But NOT signing Hideki Okajima after he was recommended by Hideki Matsui, was a complete failure. Okajima is AWESOME, and made the Red Sox stronger. Signing Damon was a good move, but the way Bernie Williams was pushed out was not classy. Signing Randy Johnson seemed like the right thing to do, but he did not put up "Big Unit" like numbers, or make an impact in the 2005 or 2006 post season. The Carl Pavano deal was not his fault, but COUNTING on Pavano this year was a very stupid move on Cashman's part. Cashman also signed Kevin Brown, Javier Vasquez, Contreras, Heredia, Karim Garcia, Raul Mondesi, and others. HE LOST Roger Clemens, Jeff Nelson, Andy Pettitte and Roger Clemens in one season. I think his signing of Hideki Matsui, and negotiating his second contract is the best move.
Update: Keep in mind Gene Michael traded for Paul O'neil, and drafted/groomed Derek Jeter, And Pettitte, Jorge Posada, and Mariano Rivera. Cashman traded away a home grown superstar in Alfonso Soriano, for Alex Rodriguez who has not made an impact in the post season.
Update 2: I think the Gary Sheffield trade was a bad move. Abreu is NOT as good as Sheffield, and Sheff was signed by Steinbrenner. Cashman seemed to have a grudge against Sheff, because he didn't personally sign him. With all of these rookies starting games for the Yanks this year they have done terrible. Where is... show more I think the Gary Sheffield trade was a bad move. Abreu is NOT as good as Sheffield, and Sheff was signed by Steinbrenner. Cashman seemed to have a grudge against Sheff, because he didn't personally sign him. With all of these rookies starting games for the Yanks this year they have done terrible. Where is all this pitching help that Cashman got for Sheffield? Meanwhile Abreu is terrible and Sheffield is beating the hell out of the ball in Detroit. I agree that Cashman was right to want Vladimir Guerrero over Sheffield when Steinbrenner signed Sheff instead, but at the time Guerrero was injured, and Sheffield produced for the Yanks and could STILL be producing! Sheff's injury last year was a fluke accident, Abreu's slump is a perfect example of his declining abilities, which Cashman should have seen coming.
4 answers 4