Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 1 decade ago

Bathtub clogged drain. Does CLR work well?

Well, latley, my drainer has been a bit slow with draining the water and I do not want to pay tons of money for a plumber. I've tried quite a few of those draining solutions, like, drain-o, etc, but it doesnt seem to work. Has anyone ever used CLR? Or any other suggestions? Thanks.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

CLR is for cleaning....If you have one of those stoppers that has a lever, just unscrew that. That's the over flow...pull that out, that's where all the hair gets build up at. Take all the hair out of it, replace all that stuff and that should clear it up....If it doesn't, then you need to snake it out through the clean out not the drain itself because the snake will not take all the bends through the drain. That's why you have to go through the overflow.....

Good Luck.......

• Login to reply the answers
  • gurnam
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Clr Drain Cleaner

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Plumbers don't cost tons of money. They certinately wont cost as much as the doctor bills you would have for mixing a bunch of unknown chemicals in your drain.alot of these things shouldn't be mixed together and if you have already tried drain-o and it doesn't seem to be working then call the plumber don't put your health at risk. there could be a whole bunch of hair in your drain clogging it up. I don't know but for a bathroom shower that seems most likely. and CLR doesn't dissolve hair. Be smart call the professionals in OK

• 1 decade ago

I would suggest snaking the drain... you can purchase a snake at home depot for about 20bucks if I remember if not its no more then 40 which is a far cry from what a plumber will charge you to do the same thing... as mentioned above you have to remove the cover to the flow stopper (or whatever that thing is called) and pull it out... put the snake in according to the snake's directions and that should solve your problem... and its essentially what I would imagine a plumber would do... here is a link to a page that has more options and through instructions

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/unclogtubdrain

Source(s): personal expirence
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ropar
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

CLR cleans calcium lime & rust. Go to your local home center & buy a small drain snake (8 to 12 $). Remove the drain screen, & work the snake down the drain, it`s probably just a hair clog or something minor. That should clear it up.

• Ann
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Fill up the tub and pour laundry detergent in it. Leave it for a few hours and then drain. The stain should come up with just a little wiping. Laundry detergent is made to break up natural oils and things which would also be found on the bottom of your tub (or drain.) If by some crazy reason that doesn't work, use white vinegar and let it soak for a bit.

• U-98
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

If you look down the drain there is a metal cross. They catch hair. Often they gather a large disgusting mat of wet rotting hair

I suggest checking and if it is like that then use a pair of needle nose pliers to pull all that hair out. If you dont have pliers handy, a bent piece of wire might let you pull it out.

Wear gloves.

Check for a hair clog first before playing with dangerous chemicals.

• Mike
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

CLR wont work... Liquid Plummer or Drain-O should though... are you sure you followed the directions?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

CLR is for cleaning, try red devil lye. It's dangerous, so wear gloves, and only use cold water, but it will work.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no ur fat nose will work honey

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.