Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

what is surname? lastname or firstname? so which is the first, surname then lastname or surname thn firstname

i was confused all the time because i still didn't know which is surname if my name "Jack Robberton" which is surname, lastname, firstname. if i wasnt wrong, surname is lastname, so which is first surname or firstname? or surname is firstname?

i was really confused when i read this letter again.

please help me find the answer......

Favorite Answer

Jack is your Christian name or first name or given name

Robberton is your surname, or last name

unless you are Chinese ...in which case the order is reversed: surname then first name.

• demaio

Surname

A surname or family name is a name added to a given name. In many cases, a surname is a family name and many dictionaries define "surname" as a synonym of "family name". In the western hemisphere, it is commonly synonymous with last name because it is usually placed at the end of a person's given name.

In most Spanish-speaking and Portuguese-speaking countries, two or more last names (or surnames) may be used. In China, Hungary, Japan, Korea, Madagascar, Taiwan, Vietnam, and parts of India, the family name is placed before a person's given name.

The style of having both a family name (surname) and a given name (forename) is far from universal. In many countries, it is common for ordinary people to have only one name or mononym.

The concept of a "surname" is a relatively recent historical development, evolving from a medieval naming practice called a "byname". Based on an individual's occupation or area of residence, a byname would be used in situations where more than one person had the same name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surname

In many countries, it is the last name. It is also called the family name. However, in many Asian and African countries, the surname is usually spoken or placed first!

In some countries, the "first name" is also called the personal name - and is not utilized by anyone who does not know the individual well. In those countries, one would address sometimes a co-worker and always a manager as Mr. so and so (assuming, as in most countries, it would be a male), for example.

On the other hand, many Arab societies traditionally do not have a surname.

For even further detail, please consult one of the sources I used to refresh my rusty memory.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

i was really confused when i read...

Source(s): surname lastname firstname surname lastname surname thn firstname: https://biturl.im/SR3S5

Jack is First Name or Given Name.

Robberton is Last Name, Surname or Family NAme.

Surname and last name both mean the same thing.

For instance, my name is Martin Harder (I've heard all the jokes before). So in my case my first name is Martin, and my surname is Harder.

Robberton is your surname@lastname

surname is the same thing as last name

My last name comes first, before my given names; my first name is in the middle and my middle name comes the last at the very end of my name. What do you think?

all the best