What is the correct time to check one's blood glucose readings?

I am type 2 diabetic and take medication to control it as well as monitor my readings four times a day. Is there a specific time or does it depend on certain factors?

Favorite Answer

check it in the morning before you eat( it should be its lowest at this time) check it before every meal , and before you go to bed. You need to keep a record for your doctor to see. Depends on what your doctor order you should either give yourself a sliding scale or adjust your diet to what you reading says. Also if you exercise you should take candy with you and check you sugar before and after because it enables insulin to enter you cells and can decrease your blood sugar

You should speak to your doctor, but it's usually right before you eat your main meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner and 2 hours after you eat. No matter how often you take your glucose it's usually right before a meal and/or 2 hours after, sometimes your doctor may want you to take it as soon as you wake up or right before you go to bed.

If you don't feel well you should take it more often and speak to your endocrinologist or diabetic teacher about this. You need a plan on what to do in advance, so you will know how to take care of problems before they happen.

Please check out the sites below from the American Diabetes Assoc. it helped me when I was diagnosed. I hope this helped. Good luck.

I am a type 2 diabetic. I take a fasting blood/sugar before breakfast, and a good reading is between 90-110. I also take 2 hours after every meal. The Reading should be 120 or below. The readings are at the request of my Endocrinologist.

Source(s): personal experience in diabetes.

I am writing to tell you what an incredible impact these methods had on my life! I have had type 2 diabetes for 27 years. For me, the worst part of this horrible disease is the severe pain I constantly get in my feet. The pain is so bad that I avoid standing and walking as much as possible. I've got to tell you that within the first month, my feet stopped hurting altogether and I can now walk totally pain free.

Believe it or not, I even danced at my niece's wedding last month, something I have not done in a many years. I've been following the book for six months now and my blood sugar is well within normal range. I feel great!

I recommend you use the Type 2 Diabetes Destroyer to naturally reverse your diabetes.

• db2byl

I am a type 2 diabetic and I test as often as I feel necessary. It that is what your doctor wants you to do, then follow his recommendations. I am certain the people here mean well but how many are physicians and how many know you and your illness. Each diabetic has different needs. My doctor told me to check it 4 times a day and any other time that I felt like I needed to. I am insulin dependent so have to stay on top. Good luck.

As a type 2 diabetic I believe you are doing it too often. My doctor recommended to do it once every three days. I also do it at 3 different times therefore there is a 9 day cycle. I check it just before breakfast, 2 hours after dinner, and before bedtime. If you notice one of them is too high then you can do it more often to figure out the problem. I now get about 90-115 on all readings.

When I used to work in a hospital I worked mainly with diabetic patients as a certified nursing assistant. I was required to check my patients blood sugar in the morning about a half an hour before breakfast, about a half an hour before lunch, and about a half an hour before dinner. In your case you could also check your sugar right before bed just to make sure it is okay and within range.

Diabetes is usually treated through a combination of diet (low sugar), exercise and medications/insulin. Read here https://tr.im/AFrTN

Milder cases can be controlled with just diet an/or exercise while more severe cases require meds or insulin as well.

In the beginning I was testing four times a day. Now I test once a day. One day it is before breakfast and then two hours after. The next day it is before lunch and two hours after the third day it is before supper and two hours after. If you are testing four times a day it should be before meals and two hours after and then once before bed.

CHECK IT AN HOUR BEFORE THE MEAL AND AN1 1/2 AFTER THE MEAL.

Source(s): MY UNCLE IS A DOCTOR