How do you dispose of an expired Inhaler?

I have an expired (by over a year) inhaler and want to dispose of it but I'm not sure if you can just throw it away or if it requires a special treatment? Anyone know? Thanks!

Favorite Answer

If your uunsure how to handle it take it to your local drugstore and ask them to dispose of it properly.

• clo

Inhaler Disposal

Your best bet would be to take it to your nearest drug store, hospital, or walk in clinic where they can properly dispose of it for you.

You may also want to check with your physician and see what the parameters of the expiry date actually are, as it may have a longer shelf life than whats printed. I only say this as epi-pens (epinephrin) can still be used after the expiry date.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axRiG

Thats strange, usually they last a few years.. But maybe you have a certain type of asthma inhaler..? If it expired in december, don't use it. Theres a reason for the date. peace

I usually put my empty ones in with the aluminum can recyclables (not sure if that's okay or not). There may be a Haz-Mat regulation on it, not certain. There may be a Hazardous pick-up day in your area (we have one once per year) or maybe a place to drop off things like empty paint cans, etc. You could always take it to one of those places or your local drug store. Hope this helps.

You can dispose of it with no special treatment.

I just make sure that there isn't any medicine in it, if there is then I just try to spray it all out, and after that I just throw it in the trash.

Donate them to your doctor or pharmacy. they can be re-used.

put it in the trash

ASK YOUR DOCTOR