Mr Q asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

WalMart Bicycle Quality?

In what specific area are walmart BMX bikes (next, mongoose, etc) most cheaply made? forks? frame? rims?

The actual frames seem solid, handle bars seem solid, rims seem okay, the forks seem weak.

What is the main problem area? and why?

Favorite Answer

If that is what fits your budget, go for it. It isn't going to be a terrible bike. You may notice that they are a little heavier than a better bike. The biggest difference is going to be on the component. Think of it as a disposable bike. The components(brakes, gears, shifters) are not going to be as nice, but the big part is that you cannot switch them out. If they break, you basically have to buy a new bike, unlike a higher qualiy bike in which you can change out the components if you need to. I went through this a year ago and was very pleased with the bike I purchased at a bike shop, both price and bike.

• kalaka

The main problem is the entire bike. They are junk. They're made by Pacific, which makes cheap, crappy bikes and sells them under the guise of Mongoose, Schwinn, etc. They are trying to convince gullible consumers that the WalMart Schwinn is the exact same Schwinn available in the bike shop, only cheaper. But it's not, it's the exact same as a Pacific or Magna or some other rotten heap that you'll soon see sitting inside a Goodwill, available for twenty bucks.

Stay away, stay very far away. It's well worth the extra money to buy a real bike from a bike shop.

Hey Victor, Well O.K. you've gotten the rant on big box bikes so I'm not going to belabor that one. I do have another suggestion for you though... Check and see if there is a bicycle "co-op" in your area or some place that can teach you how to repair a bicycle. I volunteer at one such co-op and you get what's called "digging rights" after you volunteer for a certain number of hours, this allows you to pull parts and build your own bike from donated parts. Most co-ops have experienced bike mechanics that can show you how to do anything and everything with a bike. This is definitely a win-win for you, all it takes is time and you learn how to build and fix your own bike. Frankly? I have nothing against big box bikes. But some words of caution here... Simpler is usually better and you're probably wise to take the thing in to a decent bike shop and have them check over the assembly, it will be money well spent If they'll do it. And sorry to say not too many reputable shops will even touch a big box bike. Third option is a used bike. Anything you plan on laying down your hard earned cash on should be checked out by a reputable shop BEFORE you buy it! This may cost you something but again it will be money well spent and can keep you from blowing your bucks on something that will fall apart on you a few blocks down the road. Bottom line? Any bike that gets you out the door and down the road is well worth it, just depends on how far you wanna go.

The problem I had with my Mongoose is fit. I'm 6' so the seat post was maxed out to the point that I actually bent it on the landing of a jump. Replacing the post with a taller quality post allowed me to be at the proper height but the angle of the frame pushed me farther back than I would have preferred. All and all I have had a good experience with the Mongoose. I did it's job in wetting my apatite for the sport. I have since upgraded my bicycle's and ride an average of 100 mile's a week. Also I still ride the Mongoose on occasions.

Happy trails

Mike

Source(s): personal experance

Q. In what specific area are walmart BMX bikes (next, mongoose, etc) most cheaply made? forks? frame? rims?

A. The Forks, Frame and Rims.

Source(s): My cousins Walmart BMX frame Broke at the headtube.

Walmart Ladies Bike

The forks are pretty weak... the rims will bend on you very easily... the bikes are also pretty heavy.. I've seem them weigh in at 40 pounds.. very heavy considering my mtb is 29pounds..

Another problem is brakes.. they commonly don't come back off the wheel after you brake (aka they STICK) also they have trouble locking up after a little wear.. The problem with them not locking up is it is illegal if neither one of your tires can lock up. (eek)

If you are really just looking for a cheap bmx bike go to target.. they have some around $200 that are decent for nothing too serious. Still quite heavy though.

Also another problem worth mentioning is the crank shaft can bust after a year.

WalMart sells cheap bikes, which may serve many purposes but for a more serious rider the best bet is shopping at a bike shop as most shops will offer tuneups and flat fixes for the life of your cycle or at least two years......this service isnt honored by walmart and will run 50+ US each year for tune ups, 15 for flat fixes.....

its terrible and extremely exspensive for the quality you get;.... try a Kone Laqui it runs like 300 and its a great bike

The whole bike is ****. You get what you pay for. They do have nice tire caps though.