The post apocalyptic society? Will our culture make it?

Ok...just watched Reign Of Fire (which is a vastly underated movie that all should see) and i started thinking... those of you that know me will be taking cover about now. Once the thirty year olds and over are all dead or senile and the apocalypse has occured...who will be there to show the techno generation... show more Ok...just watched Reign Of Fire (which is a vastly underated movie that all should see) and i started thinking... those of you that know me will be taking cover about now.

Once the thirty year olds and over are all dead or senile and the apocalypse has occured...who will be there to show the techno generation how to cook without a microwave? How will the young today know how to set a broken limb in a splint? how will they feed themselves? will the west revert to a lord of the flys darkage tribal society? My theory is this:

Kids in the west for the most part dont read books, dont hunt or fish (as its very un-pc) and dont like gardening. When the power go's out and we are not around they are going to be in a world of hurt...briefly as they no doubt will starve to death with out a microwave and hot pockets...whilst kids in africa wouldnt notice life with ipods and probably would just go on as if nothing had happend. darwinian selection time... and i dont fancy our chances.
Update: Dear pissed limey.

Yes i am a writer, no, im married, yes you are an illiterate fen bog trotter. No i dont think its possible to think toooo much, but it is possible to think to little.
Enjoy your hang over, may it bring you closer to liver failure.
Update 2: Blaringhorn:

I Teach on occasion, i see no evidence that the majority of kids i teach today know how to plant a bean, use a knife to dress meat, tickle a trout or understand the basic requirement of subsistance living. Who pay will set up your utopia when all of us old crusties are dead and gone?
Update 3: ... or do you suggest that it will come after a spell back in the tree tops..say neolithic cultures in 250,000 years?
10 answers 10