How strict is Jamaica on their marijuana laws?

Yes, we know its illegal and would be taking a risk, but how can tourists "safely" smoke while visiting? Are the police quick to arrest violators? Has anyone had past experieces smoking in Jamaica?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

as long as your staying at certain resorts you will be okay buying off the local people. They usually go around on kayaks or raft selling jewlery and trinkits, but just ask them for some smoke and you will be happy. We stayed at Sandals Royal Caribbean for our honeymoon and got some awesome purple haze special ordered for us, from the mountains, ask for "Tony Montana"....lol

Source(s): Sandals
    • lshsas1115 years agoReport

I am sure that Sandals Royal Caribbean won't love this advertisement that much

• 3 years ago

Jamaica Laws For Tourists

• 1 decade ago

I know it is illegal here but almost everyone smokes it. And as far as the police is concerned, some of them smoke it too, the police are very corrupt in Jamaica, most of them that is. The police have been coming down hard on people that smoke it, so i would not actually smoke it if i were you. But it is everywhere you go, you cant escape from it.

• 1 decade ago

Forget Jamaica. You can go into a bar in Amsterdam and buy any weed you like. It's legal to smoke in the bar.

• things have changed in Amsterdam - you can only buy from a coffeshop if you have id proving you live there (last I heard)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

Just go to a Jamaican party (it is called a dance) and you are good.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the police dont enforce the laws. there is a Ganja Mountain... as it is called by the locals... just ask a bellhop or some reliable-looking (i hate to judge) person for some ganja... the police wont bother with a tourist smoking... its so tolerated that it shouldnt be an issue.

just remember.. always pass to the left!

haha

peace.

• Scott
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It is illegal, but you can easily. We were approached several times with various items. And the sunrises on the balcony were beautiful...

• Jeanne
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

No, the biggest pot heads I know live in Sweden. The ban is not working.

• Do not smoke weed in Jamaica. You will get arrested and perhaps banned from staying here any longer. People get away with it but you may not be so lucky.

• 1 decade ago

If you are going to smoke it, smoke it in your room.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.