Is it possible for a common US citizen to get elected without the assistance of rich, corporate backing?

It is apparent that in order to run an effective campaign for public office, use of the media is necessary. Use of the media is very expensive. Does this place us in a position wherein only people who pander to special interests can get enough financial backing to afford the media coverage necessary to win an election? If so, are we in a catch 22 position. We want to help the common man, but are beholding to the special interest groups to help us get elected in the first place. Is there a real solution?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

It is absolutely the catch 22 you describe. In order for us to reclaim integrity within the political establishment, we must prevent candidates from requiring special interest sponsors that will expect "reimbursement".

I've thought about this long and hard and can't come up with a solution that doesn't contradict my Libertarian values. Now, I'm not tied to the party line or anything, but too much regulation CAN be a bad thing. Unfortunately, fundraising caps and taxpayer-supplied grants is the only solution I can come up with. By limiting the need for special interest sponsors OR controlling the source of the money to ensure objectivity, we can put a dent in political corruption. Maybe.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The solution would be to put a cap on what can be spent on an election. Set that cap at a half million dollars. The Government can provide that as a loan that is to be paid back after the election (for the losers) or after the term (for the winners). Then any and all advertising would have to go out as mailers or maybe radio ads. The only time you would see the candidates is on the news channels or in a debate situation. Since they will now have very limited media exposure, they will have to be very convincing of what it is they stand for. There will no longer be room for "mud-slinging" or smear campaigns.

This would also allow virtually anyone the means to run for office and all of the candidates would be on a level playing field.

• Lori B
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

The best route to take would probably start by running for local office until you begin to get some name recognition in your own area and start working your way up. The more people start recognizing your name and you start setting down a positive reputation you should start getting the backing of more people. Common people donate to political campaigns also.

• 3 years ago

I disagree including your premise that human beings in basic terms choose for company backed applicants to Congress because of the fact that there are a number of extremely-liberal (aka present day liberals) elected officers. whether almost all companies donate to campaign money for the two applicants; which buys merchandising; which impacts votes. it extremely is all approximately call attractiveness. regrettably very few human beings make an effort to look into the information and perspectives of all applicants. submit to in recommendations all "aniti-organization" applicants frequently help gov't administration and better taxation on companies. They the two do no longer comprehend or choose for to forget approximately on the subject of the reality the U.S. remains a loose-marketplace financial gadget (a minimum of till the liberal left destroys it). this technique has made this super and it could remedy our issues.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No. Every president and most Congress people have been wealthy. Who else could afford the cost of running and if they win to maintain two homes, a staff, and several offices ?

• pacer
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

No it is impossible. The best politican with the best leadership potential does not have a chance a hell unless she/he are very rich and has big money backing them. Nothing is fair in politics.

• 1 decade ago

We will see, if Michael Bloomberg decides to run, he has

said that he would use $1 billion of his own money to

fund his campaign

• 1 decade ago

No...just look at how the establishment is attacking Ron Paul.

• 1 decade ago

Vote for Ron Paul. We'll see if it's possible.

• 1 decade ago

ummm it's near impossoble. you pretty much need the corporate backing and finances. but maybe it could happen i guess....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.