What are some of the factors that should be considered when my child, who has suffered a TBI, goes to college?

A straight A student before the accident 16 months ago, she is graduating from high school this year and going to college in the fall (staying at home). She has an education plan but it will probably need to be modified. I'm concerned about the pace of the courses, instructor's willingness to make modifications, homework, etc.

Any experiences/advice would be appreciated.

5 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Presumably the TBI has not impaired cognative functions to a degree she can't handle college work--so I'l take that as given.

    Before I start--I am disabled (blind), graduated colleg with honors, have worked at the college level with studnents with disabilities for over a decade--and am a researcher in disability issues) So I know the system from "all sides."

    First: ditch the "education plan." Those are worthless and meaningless at the college level. If you have to give it lip service to keep funding, etc-do so. Otherwise, ignore it.

    Here's how college works (it is NOT like K-12 "spec ed"). Your daughter will need written documentation after she is accepted and take that to the college office of Disability Services. They will review her case--with her--and make sure she gets the accomodations she needs--and explain her responsibilities, such as notiffying them ahead of time about tests so they can arrange the accomodations.

    Instructors are (with few exceptions) supportive--and do not have the option of denying accomodations.

    The workload is your daughter's responsibility, period. She is entitled to accomodations that enable her to do the work--no more and no less. She will be treated as an adult--and expected to act accordingly.

    Finally--as to workload. I STRONGLY advise her to take a light load the first--and possibley the second--semester. That will give her time to adjust to the pace, workload, etc. She may then find she can handle a full load--or she may need to keep at a lighter workload and plan on an extra year or two. That's nothing to worry about--the average for NON-disabled students to complete a degree in the US is 7 years. But these decisions need to be made as she goes along, based on her judgment--and, in the end, ONLY her judgement--from her on out you--or anyone else--can advise and support--but no more.

  • alaniz
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

    No. That is thoroughly ridiculous, however a well query none the fewer. How many infants are you aware that devote crimes? All men and women endure it's what you do for the period of your lifestyles. It is presently whilst both humanity shines or dims essentially the most. There are levels of discomfort and nobody does no longer revel in the equal sort of discomfort despite the fact that they'll cross via the equal tragedy. Learn to appear for what makes it higher then what makes it the worst. I have misplaced plenty in my lifestyles and feature suffered however I additionally understand others too have suffered the equal. I have found out to allow the worst cross and appear for the well. I don't continually however I do check out.

  • 1 decade ago

    Contact the college's office of disabled student services (in the US, most colleges have one). She may qualify for an aide for taking class notes, as well as tutoring.

    Junior college is her best bet at this point. She can start with just one course and see how it goes. I'd say that jumping into a university is a bad idea until she finds out how well she can keep up.

    Source(s): I was a speech pathologist who did community reentry with TBI patients.
  • 1 decade ago

    Can you give me more details as to how extensive is your child's injury? How has it affected her overall performance? Do I understand correctly that you plan to have her take her courses at home?

    You need to confer with your doctor as to how much workload will she be allowed to do. You need to make sure that the workload would not be stressful for her. (Are there complications brought about by the accident such as seizures?)

    Then, you need to inquire at the prospective schools if they have programs or provisions for students with special needs. You can also talk with a special education teacher and the school counselor. they can help you plan out the best possible workload, schedule and such. you could also check your local government if they have existing home-based programs for individuals with special needs.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • TAT
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    I don't want to sound harsh, but college professors are not required to make many modifications. They do not have to slow down their pace or modify the assignments.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.