MeBRy asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Help with training a puppy not to bite?

I just a 10 week old lab. She is so smart and after the first couple days she was potty trained! My only problem is that she is chewing on EVERYTHING. I want her to lick, but she will only like bite or nibble. How do i train her to lick me and not bite everything in my house?!

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

There's a few things you need to keep consistent: 1. Never use your hands as a toy; never play with just your hands with the dog. She needs to focus her playing attention to the toy in your hand, not your hand.

2: bitter spray: spritz everything you don't want her chewing on.

3: keep a coffee can (or other metal canister) with coins inside handy. What you need to do is if you catch her chewing, rattle the can and startle her out of her actions, then quickly replace the bad item with a chew toy... Then praise her when she chews on the toy. This directs her chewing tendencies to items she know she'll get praise for.

When a puppy hears yelling, 99.999% of the time, she won't know why. She just knows you're upset. So you need to use positive reinforcement and try to ignore the "accidents."

Puppy mouthing is somthing all dogs need to go through, because this is the crucial time in their development that they find out what kind of mouth pressure is acceptible in play. Normally, they get this from other dogs. If she does this to you, the best thing to do is let out a loud cry, like an "ouch" and startle her to stop, so she knows that it was too hard. She'll learn not to use that much pressure and move on with her development.

When you're sure she's out of the puppy mouthing stage and she's still nibbling, say PUPPY NO. firmly, not yelling, and then pull your hand away and move away from her. Don't hit her or shove her off. Just take away your affection and attention.

If you pay her attention (however negative) when she does something wrong, she's training you, not the other way around. The best way to train is not to yell, scold, or spank with a newspaper. It's to withold attention, treats or affection until they do what you want. This can be petting, playing, feeding treats, combing etc.

Source(s): Numerous vet consultations regarding a wayward beagle and a stubborn pug ;)
  • 1 decade ago

You may want to try thinking like a dog. Gentle nibbles are usually OK, but when puppies play bite too hard, the guy on the receiving ends lets out a yelp and stops playing. When your puppy bites you, make like an actor: Let out a high pitched yip, say "No Bite" in a stern voice, then withdraw your attention for about five minutes. You may have to employ this method a few times before she gets the point, or become a better actor. Don't be overly loud, though, or you might scare her. Once she understands that biting is not an acceptable behavior, you might try putting a little chicken stock on your hands to get her to lick you.

Puppies, like babies, explore with their mouths, which means anything is fair game as far as chewing is concerned. To teach her not to chew on your shoes, clothing, the bed, couch, etc., etc., etc., say something like "No chew," and immediately replace the item with something she is allowed to chew on. There are plenty of good chew toys made for puppies, you just have to find a few that she really likes and strew them around the house in places where she might be tempted to chew on something you don't want shredded. When she starts to chew on the replacement, praise her. You also might consider making a toy box, which you can fill with some of her toys. Teach her the name of the box and let her know that all the wonderful things in the box are hers. Praise her whenever she takes anything out of it and reward her by making a game out of "find it" by putting a favorite toy, or even a treat, down at the bottom of the box.

• crase
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

When your dog bites you, make a top pitched yelp. A puppy does not realize, "Ow!!! That harm! No! Bad boy!", so that you must inform them that you simply received harm through creating a top pitche yelp. This is what he'd do if he received harm, proper? Then, move your hands and stroll out of the room with out your puppy. Having you within the room is a present on your puppy, and also you leaving is sort of a punishment. Soon he will realize that howdy, might be I will not do this when you consider that I lose my present of getting her enterprise! This biting factor would possibly simply be a segment. He might simply be teething, however even nonetheless you must train your puppy that biting you is NOT the answer. Leash coaching is relatively effortless. My puppy discovered it in not up to every week. Have your puppy in your left or proper aspect (I pick the left), and simply begin running. Each time he begins roaming off, say the aspect you wish him to visit, so in my case it could be, "Left!" and SOFTLY pull him again to in which you wish him to stroll. A you are running, bend down and deliver him a Cheerio. Each stroll, decrease the quantity of Cheerios you deliver him, quickly none in any respect. These are the ways that I used to educate my dog and that labored, so that is why I'm recommending them to you. I desire you've gotten success getting your dog proficient! Happy vacations!

• DP
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Wow. I am absolutely shocked at the answers you are getting. Yanking the mouth open, squeezing ears, pinching, flicking, slapping. hitting.. These things are excessive for a 10 week old puppy who is merely chewing things. I am stunned that this is going on..

They are BABIES, who naturally learn and use their mouths to experience things.. You don't beat the crap out of them to teach them things.. My God, they are little tiny puppies.. There are far more humane ways to stop them from merely mouthing and biting hands.. They aren't vicious killer dogs, they are baby puppies.. Quit being so mean to them. No wonder dogs are growing up nasty and going out and biting people.

This puppy is only 10 weeks old, she has been alive for only 2.5 months.. Why would you tell this person to do such aggressive things to such a little puppy?!

The only decent answer I've seen so far, is the bitter apple spray. And the couple that are telling you how to stop the biting without aggression...

When you catch her chewing, either remove her from what she is chewing and put her down where HER toys are, and encourage her to play w/ them.. When she does tell her Good Girl. When you are sitting there watching tv or whatever you do... And you see her chewing her own toys, tell her Good Girl.. Every chance or opportunity you have to tell her she is doing the right thing, Use it...

If she is chewing something, replace it with something acceptable.. As soon as she takes it in her mouth, tell her Good Girl.. Praise goes A LOOOONG ways. Praise will get you much farther, much faster than slapping, pinching, flicking, twisting and whacking puppies with newspaper..

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Labs stay puppies and are mouth oriented for a long time. I have a 15 year old that ate everything in site for about 3 years and was very mouth oriented. Avoid playing mouth oriented games like tug of war until she gets past this stage. Distraction works best when she is trying to bite.

CVT of 18 years - good luck :o))

• mark
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

First off she's teething. Buy her some toys to chew on. Rawhide bones are always a winner.

There are several products on the market you can spray on shoes, furniture, etc that has a very bitter taste to animals and will prevent them from chewing on unwanted things. Eventually they learn not to chew on stuff because they think it'll taste nasty.

I personally use OdoBan Bitter Barrier, which you can buy at Walmart.

There is a similar spray on product that uses a bitter apple flavor. Which you can get at Petco or Petsmart.

give the spray on stuff a try... imo it's the easiest, you don't always have to keep an eye on them.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

She needs more toys that are ok to chew on. Go out a buy a huge sack of rawhide chips. Every time she start chewing on something you don't want her to give her a stern no and insist she take a rawhide chip instead. As soon as she starts chewing on it tell her she's a good girl.

If you are consistent with the training the chewing on non-puppy things will stop soon.

• 1 decade ago

Buy pup several toys he can chew on. Hard rubber balls and Kongs, sterilized bones, nylon bones, and knotted ropes are available at pet supply stores. Knotted rags and old socks and shoes are acceptable as long as the pup doesn't get confused between the discarded item and a pair of $100 Nikes or Katy's new t-shirt. Soft squeak toys are fun for small puppies and for games of fetch, but are not sturdy enough for chewing exercise for older pups.

Whenever pup chews the wrong thing, remove her to a neutral area and give her something she's allowed to chew. No shouting, no smacks with a newspaper or hand -- just matter-of-fact corrections in a firm tone of voice. "No, that's mine, here's something for you" is appropriate.

Limit access to bedrooms, living rooms, etc. with baby gates and closed doors.

Use discipline, not punishment for infractions of the rules. A stern "no" or "quit it" and banishment to a crate should handle most infractions. Puppies should never be hit.

Be persistent and consistent. If it was wrong yesterday, it's wrong today.

Make sure your puppy is getting adequate physical activity. Puppies left alone in a yard do not play by themselves. Take your puppy for walks and/or play a game of fetch with him as often as possible.Give your puppy plenty of people time. He can only learn the rules of your house when he is inthe house with you.Take your puppy to an obedience class to teach him important commands, like “leave it.”

Rotate your puppy’s toys. Puppies, like babies, are often more interested in unfamiliar or novel objects. Put out four or five toys for a few days, then pick those up and put out four or five different ones.Experiment with different kinds of toys. When you introduce a new toy to your puppy, watch him to make sure he won’t tear it up and ingest the pieces.Consider the various types of toys that can be stuffed with food. Putting tidbits of food insidechew toys focuses your puppy’s chewing activities on those toys instead of on unacceptable objects.

• 1 decade ago

Spray Bitter Apple on things she shouldn't bite (or hot sauce) and give her lots of toys to help relieve the teething she is going through. When she is biting you have a toy near by and give it to her right away saying good girl. She will eventually learn that biting is not proper behavior if she gets positive rewards for not biting. Once she is done with that you can train her to give kisses by putting a small amount of peanutbutter on your lips and saying give kisses and reward her when she licks it off.

• 1 decade ago

First of all, puppies teethe just like young children do.

They need something to chew on to help the process along.

Your local vet can recommend good things for pup to chew on.

As for ppl biting, there is a technique that worked really well for us (we've raised a bunch of dogs) and it is a totally pain free way of teaching them that its a no no to put their mouth on you.

The next time that the pup tries to bite you (really its just "mouthing") hold your thumb down on their tongue while grasping the rest of your fingers of that hand under the dog's jaw. (they HATE it) It's not painful to the dog at all, they just don't like having their tongue held down.

Tell the dog "no bite" (or whatever you want to use ((short commands are best)).

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.