Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 1 decade ago

Do nuclear power plants contribute to global warming ?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No. In fact, greater use of nuclear power could mitigate global warming, because nuclear power could replace coal-fired power plants.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Gene
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I'm sick of hearing about global warming. Is this the new buzz word for everyone? No they don't. But, I believe man might be partly to blame for global warming (it's hard to argue with satellite imagery) but on the other hand, the glaciers advanced and retreated many times way before man was around. Besides, I've read the Bible and before global warming does anything catastrophic, WE WILL by nuclear war. THEN, people can talk about global warming.

• Luis
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

As I recall no, but they do produce nuclear waste, which is a pain to store. Here in my province half our power comes from Nuclear, but we don't have storage for the waste, so it sits in giant water tanks(it's safe but not a longterm solution).

Nuclear does seem a great solution, but not a good longterm one. We should use nuclear now, and phase in more and more solar and wind(there enough wind power to power everything on the earth 7 times over, all human power usage, including cars). Plus wind or solar power is harder for terrorists to hit.

But simply put, they don't contribute to global warming. But they're not the best option in the long run.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yes! the waste from nuclear power plants is unbiodegradable and yes it contributes to global warming

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes, a nuclear plant on average will emit 1/3 of the carbon dioxide that a conventional plant would. As well, water used as a coolant - thermal pollution.

• Zeltar
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Not significantly. Cooling using the ocean water contributes to some localized warming.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

nope, the problem with nuclear power plants is disposing of the waste they create.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes

• matten
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Little guy does outcomes "international warming". If it did we could have persevered the traits of the ninety's yet unfortunately it has cooled fairly even however CO2 tiers proceed to climb.

• 1 decade ago

Only if they all are run by Homer Simpson and somehow exploded at the same time worldwide.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.