Statistics on much complicated math is used in real life?

Hi! i need help on a essay in which i argue that complicated math i.e. algebra, geometry, calculus is useful in real life, i need a statistic of some sort or a quote of a famous guy to defend my argument

(it would be nice if it was a statistic talking about how much people really use *hard* math.)

♥THANK YOU♥

Update:

Hi! i need help on a essay in which i argue that complicated math i.e. algebra, geometry, calculus is useful in real life, i need a statistic of some sort or a quote of a famous guy to defend my argument

(it would be nice if it was a statistic talking about how much people really use *hard* math.)

♥THANK YOU♥

p.s i cant use it if there is no siting or quoting or whatever

Update 2:

wait, wait im so sorry i messed up i need to know why it is not useless in real life ignore everything up there

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

In reality, only a small percentage of the average population actually uses "complicated" math in their everyday lives. With the advent of computers, calculators, and computer software, it is just not a necessity for many to use "complicated" math theirselves anymore. Now, I am not in any way advocating the idea that people should not learn math. But, to support your point, ".....educators should use computer technology to completely revolutionize and re-invent the mathematics curriculum. In American schools, children are taught concepts in pure mathematics first, and are only introduced to its applications later on in their education, usually in high school or even college....Most of the early great concepts in mathematics were discovered in just that way - we need to build this pyramid, we need to predict the next solar eclipse, and so on...(New Math, Fun Math, http://www.columbia.edu/~ip71/w116/2006/04/new-mat... )."

The above quote can be actually taken both ways, both in support of your topic and in favor of the other side. Make it fit your way, or find some other quote that shows how the advent and widespread use of technology makes mathematics obsolete.

Good luck, ray.

• 1 decade ago

Well, as you can see, every piece of technology has some sort of relation to science which also relates to some math. But, i also agree with of your ideas about how "advanced" math is basically useless in the real world. Math should only be required to be taught to algebra 1 since almost no one knows anything about the quadratic formula after a couple years after their time at school.

• 1 decade ago

if you are talking about the number of people who use "hard maths", the number is very small, however that doesn't mean "hard maths" isn't useful in real life. For example the very computer you are using right now in order to view this website is an art of maths. If it wasn't for maths we wouldn't have computers, cars, electronics, or none of the technology we have today. Also advanced statistics are being used in fields of psychology, sociology, biology and any science that uses databases.

• 1 decade ago

with out complicated math . . .

where would tv, computers, radio, the ipod, cellphones, satellites . . . etc . . . reading earthquakes reading . . . sound intensity in stereos. microphones . . . all this would not be possible without complicated math

one teacher said that einstein once said that everything in life is easy, it is humans that make it complicated. So you can say that complicated math really isnt complicated but that we make it complicated. . . . other than that i really dont know any other quotes about complicated math . . . you could go to thinkexist.com and just search some quotes there

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Algebra is useful in many fields including: Math, science, engineering, and medicine. Outside of it's practical uses, any class in math is useful in building your critical thinking and problem solving skills. If I give you a problem, a set of rules, and a base of knowledge, you are practicing finding solutions. This happens everyday in every career you can think of. It's tremendously useful in that capacity.

• 1 decade ago

I have 2 quotes for you. I hope they help.

"If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music.

I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music. ... I get most joy in life out of music." by Albert Einstein (All music is based on math. It's about frequency, vibrations, etc.)

"Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more." by Nikola Tesla

• 1 decade ago

I use statistics all the time...Statisitics determines on how well production growth has either increased or decrease in any company..even nonprofit organizations use statistics...Individuals who are diagnosed with HIV are put into statistic reports every year...For every one person that is diagnosed with HIV has to be put into the statistics report every year....compare statistics reports from 2000 to 2004...you'll see how statistics is done...It's used practically every day...look at the stock market

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A specific example could be how lots of comic artists add math to some of their comics. Evidence of this can be found in my source.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.