do I have to have the same dsl and phone company, or can I get dsl from one and phone from another?

Favorite Answer

This is called "naked" dsl. Qwest offers it in some areas, as does Verizon. Bellsouth does not. US federal court gutted several southern states PUC's rulings that would have forced Bellsouth to wholesale unbundled dsl to CLEC's in their footprint.

Also, if you live in Bellsouth territory, if you have phone service from a competitor, Bellsouth won't sell you DSL. nice.

I've read that Verizon offers naked dsl in NYC. Can't verify that it's available anywhere else.

Source(s): Used to work for Verizon.

No, you don't need the same company. For instance, you can get phone service from Verizon and DSL from Covad or Earthlink. The DSL provider then pays a fee to the company that maintains the line.

Pick your best deal. Some years bak, I had problems with DSL from a different provider as the phone service provider. Whenever DSL was down, I had to wait until the DSL provider and phone company had worked out where the problem was.

• joe r

i work for a CLEC... we provide dial tone to our customers.. but we do not directly sell DSL.. our customers can choose which ever DSL provider has agreements with the RBOC in the area..

most of our customers who have DSL have it thru Verizon (the RBOC for this area) or COVAD

Source(s): nyphonejacks@yahoo.com