Does Wal Mart still have layaway?

If not, does any other store have it?

• wizjp
    Best Answer

Jewelery only as of last year

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. said Thursday it is doing away with layaway service at all of its 3,000-plus stores, upsetting some shoppers but not surprising at least one retail expert.

"I think it's necessary. Layaways just take time and energy; it just doesn't pay off. It's not practical for big companies to do it anymore," said George Whalin, who heads a retail consulting firm in California.

Wal-Mart said in a news release it was discontinuing layaway because of declining use and increasing costs. It will phase out its layaway program while expanding other financing options, the company said.

"Demand for layaway service has declined steadily as consumers turn to other options, such as online shopping, gift cards and no-cost credit alternatives," said Pat Curran, executive vice president, store operations, Wal-Mart Stores Division in the news release. "To assist our customers, we are offering one last opportunity to use layaway service this Christmas season."

Customers will have until Nov. 19 to place items in layaway for this Christmas season and merchandise must be picked up by Dec. 8, the company said.

Wal-Mart said it will offer $20 cash back to customers who apply for a new Discover or Wal-Mart credit card for the first time, when they apply at a store register and purchase at least $100 on their card the same day.

Fonda Jenkins of Fayetteville said she used to do all of her shopping at Wal-Mart. She works at the Community Clinic at St. Francis House in Springdale, and said people there were upset at the news Wal-Mart was doing away with layaways.

"That's all I've been hearing this week, people talking about how they were going to manage," she said.

Jenkins, who now considers herself an "ex-Wal-Mart shopper," also wrote a letter to the editor decrying Wal-Mart's action.

Wal-Mart spokeswoman Linda Blakely said the company has offered layaway service since it began more than 40 years ago. Wal-Mart isn't worried that discontinuing the service will drive away customers, she said.

No. Wal-Mart discontinued layaway about a year ago.

As for other stores, you would have to contact them. Many stores have stopped using layaway. I suppose they think that credit makes more money for them. Unfortunately, if you apply and are turned down, it affects your credit rating.

From what I last Heard its gone The only other store that I know of Is Kmart Im not sure if there is any more stores to have layaway however im sure there is you will just have to check.

No they done away with it before Christmas last year. K-mart still has layaway.

no they stop that after thanksgiving last year...the said they were losing money on layaway...plus they wanted people to sign up for their credit card

kmart and target still have theirs

Source(s): worked there
  • H. A

No, they did away with about two or so years ago. Kmart stills has lay away.

Hey! our walmart in hotsprings dosent have layway ne more i dont know why but we have 2 walmarts so ours dont have layway ne more lol

Im not sure..I wonder the same thing

• Kaylin

The Walmart I go to does.

Yup, I just "laid" away the cashier girl.