Who started rap?

We all know Elvis started rock...who started rap though?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I've always been told by a lot of people that "Rev Run" was the first rapper.. or his real name : Joseph Simmons

but his group was Run-DMC

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

I agree with Sunny 442; it's tough competition and can be disappointing at times. Music business management is a good course to study, if things don't work out for you as a rapper, you can always manage artists or be involved in music production etc. The more you learn about the business, the more opportunities you'll have in case plan A fails. It's good to have a back-up plan. Study for your passion and keep rapping. Good luck.

• 1 decade ago

The funk band Fatback releases 'King Tim III (Personality Jock).' Though it doesn't gain much attention, it is the first mainstream rap single.

The Sugarhill Gang releases 'Rapper's Delight.' Built on a sample of Chic's disco hit 'Good Times' and written by Grandmaster Caz of the Cold Crush Brothers, it goes on to become hip-hop's first hit and mainstream America's first exposure to rap music.

Whodini becomes the first rap group to shoot an official video for their song "Magic's Wand."

• 1 decade ago

Afrika Bambaataa

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

sorry you guys are all wrong, sugar hill gang had the first rap song actually recorded in 1979 "rappers dlight", however dj kool herc started rap its self in 1973 on some famous street corner in the south bronx in nyc i know that much for a fact go ask grand master flash or rev run or dougie fresh or krs one they will al tell u it was dj kool herc

• BK1
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

DJ Kool Herc up in the Bronx, New York City.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

there is debate over who exactly started rap. but Run DMC was a big part of the foundation of rap

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sugarhill gang in 1979

• 1 decade ago

Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five

• 1 decade ago

some people say muhammed ali started rap when he used to rhyme about his opponents.. like when he was about to fight joe frazier in the thrilla in manilla:

its gonna be a killa, and a thrilla, chilla, when i get the gorilla in manilla

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.