Do you think ministers should be paid?

Many ministers are paid a lot for their services. Do you think that is right when Jesus himself did not accept earthly rewards? What makes it okay to have to pay someone to teach you the word of God. And how can a man rob God (when preachers refer to the book of Malachi during offering time) when God already owns everything?

Favorite Answer

i am a minister and am not paid. nor do i want to be paid. i work a full time job to support myself and my family. my religious work is done on my own time.

but then again i do not need a fancy building to worship in. open sky or middle of the woods is fine with me and my people. rain/snow/or sunshine is fine too.

i do not believe that we should sell the knowlege that the gods give to us for free. Or in the manner of faith healers, should we sell our gifts to the highest bidder. they are given so that we can help people.

i do not care so much about the little country minister that makes a modest living from his church. and most people do not mind supporting him. the ones that bother me are the mega-millionaire preachers, that are constantly taking money from people that really need it, and then useing to to buy another lexus. or another 5000 dollar suit

**********************************************

i would also mention that i spend around 30 hours a week of my free time on my religious duties, and studies. and am on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week for any of the needs of my rather small group.

as far as the naked street preacher...if you were not so put off by his clothing and lack of finery. you may learn that he MIGHT have something Importent to tell you.

Excuse me! My father is a minister. He was never paid a lot and he performs lots of services not only for the church but for the community. He was on call 24 hrs a day. Many a night he would get a call after midnight and rush to some families side when a love one had been in an accident or had fallen ill and was at the hospital. No one thought twice about calling him at 2 or 3 in the morning because someone was arrested or someone had died. And yes he got up and rushed to comfort those that needed comforting.

He spend weeks preparing sermons, funerals, and wedding. He did not have a book other than his reference books and the Bible to guide him in these preparations. There was a not textbook he copied a sermon out of. And where do you get the idea that Jesus did not accept earthly rewards? He was given food was he not? He was given safe haven and a place to rest was he not? Those are the things that could be considered wages at that time.

My doctor charges me money for his services yet, my grandfather use to pay his doctor with a chicken. Does that mean that my grandfather's doctor did not get a salary and my doctor is a thief because he charges money.

The life of a real minster is one of the hardest occupations that I know. They spend all their time, energy and effort on the needs of the church and community sometimes overlooking the needs of his own family or his own self in his service to God.

How is a minister suppose to take care of his family? Put food on his table and clothes on his children's back if he works for free! How is he suppose to support himself when and if he can retire?

Most minister are the humblest yet, lest respected and unrecognized people around.

God Bless my dad and all the other minister for their hard work and devotion.

Some ministers do not only work on sunday. They are visiting the sick and performing funerals and counseling couples on the verge of divorce, and minding the office work and newsletters...trying to find SOMEONE to volunteer for the nursery...

I guess if the only thing they do is come in on sunday and leave again, you might have a point. But I don't know any who do that. In fact most of the time the needy congregation sucks them dry.

Furthermore while the minister is busy ministering his children are hungry and his electric bill is due, just like the rest of us.

I guess it depends on if you expect your minister to be there for you when you and others in your church need him through the week. I guess you could always make sure relatives only die on sunday...

I would never, ever, ever deal with anyone that made it mandatory you pay them by the way. People make offerings freely. If you don't want to put anything in the plate, you don't have to. But let those of us who want to put in what we like.

I do have an issue when certain conferences and events require one to purchase a ticket to enter and hear the word. That excludes people who cannot pay and that I feel is very very wrong. There is a difference between accepting money from people who want to give it to you, and demanding money from people who can't.

if someone is preaching the word of God full time, then they need to be paid. Because that is there job. without them, your church wouldnt run. If however, they are only preaching once a month as a guest preacher or something like that, and have a fulltime job elsewhere, then no, they shouldnt be paid.

Jesus DID recieve money off of people. Why on earth would He need a treasurer (judas) if He didnt have a substantial income? Jesus did carpentry, but when He started full time ministry, he relied on the Father, who provided Him everything, including an income, which was from the people who came to hear him teach and speak, and love offerings also. Read the new testament... its right there.

Are you going to buy their toilet paper??? Of course they should be paid. I have listened to some homeless guys preach on the corner, but they do not get much of an audience and are not taken too seriously. Do you go to worship on the street or in a buliding? Do you want your minister standing there naked and hungry. Jesus was niether. This is also a different time in history, people don't just invite the passing preacher into their homes for some wine and bread.

As for God already owning everything as a "justification" for not paying a minister because that would be "robbing" God, by the same logic, if God owns everything, then NO ONE has a right to be paid ANYTHING!!!! So no one would be paid any sort of wages. I can't imagine God wanting that! Just because God owns everything doesn't mean that God is not willing to give/share what He owns with people.

So ... "pay da man!"

I recall an old joke about this... and I would love to share it. If you are easily offended, then turn off your computer now! It's really not that "bad" of a joke.. but here goes...

A minister, priest, and rabbi were at a conference. The subject of their compensation came up, and so they discussed how each of them handled how much of the congregation's offerings go for their pay.

The minister said, "Well, in our faith, we believe in tithing, so I withhold 10% as my salary and the rest goes for the church."

The priest said, "In our church, we take a vow of poverty, so it all goes to the church and they pay for only what we need to live."

They then turned to the rabbi, who said, "Well, I take the offering plate, go to the altar, and toss the money all up into the air. What stays UP is God's, what comes down is MINE."

Matthew 10:10

a worker is worthy of his food.

These were the words of Jesus. It's unfortunate that many people think that ministers have it easy. Only someone who has actually been in the ministry can understand how difficult the ministry really is, and how many ministers are truly overworked and underpaid for their services.

Ministers should be paid for what they do. They put in so many hours into doing things that you will never see. The couple of hours you see them behind the pulpit. When you get married or are in the hospital who do you expect to be there? They preform funrals and so forth and so on. They put in a full work week. Do you expect to be paid for your full time job? Ministers don't get paid over time, but they anser the phone 24 hours to be there for their congregations. of course they should be paid. If you are going to read Malachi read the whole chapter, God tells us to bring in a 10th of our increase. If everyone really did this, ministers would never need to mention it to their congration, the church would be taken care of.

not really a help or aid from christians members is good enough,for it is said you have recieve the words for free,share it for free"God will Provide,he might use someone as an instrument to help a true and honest Minister or Pastor"and besides the worship is not evryday how can he be full-time minister?the rest of his day's what playing w/ his wife or kids get real"

Source(s): i heard that long ago

The fact that in this modern society, somebody has to pay their mortgage and put shoes on their kids is what makes it OK.

Jesus had no children, no house save what His Father (and his father, Joseph) had built, no mortgage, no phone bill... and he slept more or less anywhere, and took what he could find.

But if people offered the group any money, of course they took it -- you try feeding a dozen or so hungry guys who've been walking 20 miles!