Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

We found this weird thing on my dog? What is it? Help!?

I was petting my dog and I felt a bump. At first I thought that it was just a piece of matted fur so i squeezed it for a second and checked to see if I could untangle it but I couldn't. So I looked closer and I saw this weird thing like just a little smaller than a dime and it was tan colored. There was black stuff leaking out of it. We got all of it off. It did NOT look like a tic - but it might be one I don't know. But then when we took it off there was a huge cut and black stuff ALL OVER where the bug had been. We are taking him to the vet ASAP but we are scared for him and worried about him. We DO give him K9 Advantix and he was not overdue for it. I have no idea what it is. Is he going to be ok? I am REALLY worried. We live right around the base of a mountain but it isn't really woody at all. There are a few trees in our backyard but nothing especially wooded or unusual.

Favorite Answer

It sounds like a tick. Ticks are usually a brownish color before they are engorged with blood, the black stuff you saw might have been blood, it turns a darker color when it comes in contact with air. The fact that you live at the base of a mountain makes me think even more that this could have been a tick. Is your dog protected against Lyme Disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever? These are two diseases that are transmitted to dogs from ticks and both can be really bad for your dog. Symptoms of Lyme disease in dogs may be different in each and every dog. That’s why each dog owner has to be knowledgeable about and on the lookout for a range of symptoms of Lyme disease that may include limping, usually one of its front legs, fever as high as 105 degrees, fatigue, appetite loss, and signs of discomfort or pain. There are two stages of Rocky Mountain spotted fever: Subclinical and acute. In the subclinical stage, dogs are infected, but do not show outward signs of the disease though they may have laboratory test abnormalities. These dogs may recover quickly. In the acute stage, dogs have a loss of appetite, fever, pain in the muscles and joints, swollen lymph nodes, and edema (fluid accumulation) in the face and legs. Some animals develop pneumonia or heart arrhythmias, which can lead to sudden death. Most dogs have neurological signs (dizziness, depression, stupor, seizures) and these can sometimes become very severe. These signs appear 2 to 14 days after the tick bite. The dogs may have slight anemia, a low number of platelets (platelets help blood to clot), and increased liver enzymes, as measured by a blood chemistry panel. Some dogs develop ulcerations of the mucous membranes and extremities. Since you are taking your dog to the vet save the part of the bug or whatever in a ziploc bag to show your vet. Also try and keep the cut clean and free of hair to prevent infection. Its really hard to tell for sure if its a tick or not without a picture, but I hope this helps.

It may very well have been a tick; the "black stuff" you saw could have been the digested blood that was forced from it when you squeezed it to get it off your dog.

Unfed ticks look like flat, oval shaped beetles, but when they're engorged with blood they swell up like balloons.

The "huge cut" is unusual. Ticks usually burrow into the skin, head deep, and leave a puncture mark when extracted, not a cut.

You're doing the right thing by taking your dog to the vet. The big concern with ticks is that some of them carry lyme disease which can be fatal to dogs if undiagnosed and untreated. Your vet will be able to help you figure out what was on your dog and how to best treat his injury.

There is a type of dog tick that will swell up almost as big as a grape, although they usually are gray-ish rather than tan in color. You probably popped the tick when you squeezed it; the blood would look black. I would put the "bug" in a baggie and take it along with you to the vet, put some neosporin on the cut.

That is a big dog tick, a mama tick that has to fill up with blood before laying the eggs. The black stuff is blood, altho it doesn't look like it. The small black things around it are probably the eggs, or tiny ticks.

Sounds like a common dog tick, but I'm surprised you didn't see legs and stuff. They get HUGE. Don't be worried, the vet will tell you what to do and they don't carry the worst of the diseases. The black stuff was probably blood.

A dog can pick up a common tick even in the city. (I have had them attached to myself and the doctor was like, ok just let me know if anything unusual happens.)

Edit:

I decided to do a google search for engorged tick images and found out that there are more yucky ticks and yucky tick disease than I knew about. I still don't think you should worry and the vet should know. Check out these images and see if it helps at all.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www....

did u see anything that looked like a bug? just cause its not wooded doesn't mean there are no ticks. it could have been can't say without seeing it. it could also be a cyst. mine has one on his tail thats going bye bye next week. when i first found it black(dried blood) came out the clear then white hardish stuff....good luck....ohh and try some garlic powder sprinkled on his food. i think it works better then the meds with who knows whats in it. and we walk in the wood often and none of my dogs ever had a tick.

It is very possible that it is a tick. Please keep what you cut off to take and show the vet.

You are doing the right thing by taking him as soon as you can to the vet.

Try not to worry too much.

Source(s): Veterinary nurse

It's probably not a tick. Ticks take a lot more effort to get them off. Most of the time you have to burn them off. My guess is that it is a fatty tumor. Sometimes they leak like that. My rottweiler had something similar. Sometimes dogs just get them, they are not serious at all, so don't worry.

Glad you are going to the vet ASAP. maybe it was a botfly larva. I believe they are pretty harmless, just repulsive. But be sure to check it out with the vet.

It might be an American Dog tick. Here is a pic!