LGBT people, do you love yourself?

If so, how did you get there? What resources helped you?

If not, how do you cope? What works?

Are there on line resources that we can keep on file to share with other LGBT people when they ask?

Favorite Answer

SHARING MY LIFE: LET'S SEE MY FIRST FEW YEARS WERE HELL ON EARTH... MY PARENTS WERE AND ARE STILL DRUNKS BIG TIME... WHEN I WAS FIVE MY FATHER FOR NO REASON GRABBED ME DRUNK AS USUAL, TOOK ME TO THE BATHROOM STRIPPED ME AND BEAT ME WITH A BARBER CHAIR BELT, THEN DECIDED TO FINISH IT OFF WITH TURNING ON THE HOT WATER...... MY GRANDMOTHER TOOK CONTROL THEN, AND SHE SHOWED ME WHAT LOVE IS, TAUGHT ME ABOUT LIFE, AND MADE ME THE MAN I AM TODAY. THEIRS A LOT OF WISDOM IN OLDER FOLKS, MAKE ONE YOUR FRIEND, THEIR WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN GOLD!!!!!!

THEN, WHEN I WAS 17 AND WORKING, I GOT A CALL ONE NIGHT, CAUSE I DID SCHOOL AND WORKED AT NIGHT, HER HOUSE WAS ON FIRE. I WENT HOME AND IT WAS HORRIBLE, I COULDN'T GET IN THE FRONT DOOR, RAN TO THE BACK, GOT ON MY HANDS AND KNEES AND WENT AS FAR AS I COULD. I GOT CHOKED AND MY HANDS WERE BURNING AND MY KNEES, SO I TURNED AROUND, TO WATCH THE HOUSE FALL IN ON HER. I BEAT THE GROUND AS HARD AS I COULD WITH MY FISTS, I DIDN'T FEEL IT, IT WAS LIKE I WAS NUMB. THE FIREMEN FINALLY GOT THERE, VOLUNTEER CAUSE WE LIVED IN THE COUNTRY. ALL I REMEMBER WAS BEING TOOK TO THE HOSPITAL FOR OXYGEN AND BURN TREATMENT. I FOUND OUT SHE WAS ONLY ABOUT FIVE FEET AWAY FROM ME, BUT I COULDN'T SEE HER BECAUSE OF THE SMOKE. EVER HAD TO SAY GOODBYE TO A CLOSED COFFIN?? IT'S HARD....

I HATED MYSELF FOR A YEAR, I HAD SO MUCH HATE IN MY HEART FOR MYSELF I STUNK INSIDE LIKE STAGNET WATER.

I TELL YA THIS BECAUSE I LEARNED SOMETHING AFTER THAT FIRST YEAR, TWO VERY HARD LIFE LESSONS. HARD TO LEARN, AND I LIVE BY THEM EVERYDAY NOW....... THIS IS IT, AND MAYBE IT WILL HELP SOME OF MY FRIENDS OUT, I HOPE SO...........

NUMBER ONE: LEARN TO FORGIVE YOURSELF, TREAT YOURSELF LIKE THE WAY YOU WOULD A BABY. CARE FOR YOURSELF, WITH WHATEVER TOOLS YOU CHOOSE TO USE. EAT BETTER, PAT YOURSELF ON THE BACK, AND TREAT YOURSELF TO LIFE'S PLEASURES, KICK BACK, RELAX, LOVE YOURSELF, WHATEVER YOU NEED FOR YOURSELF, DO IT, YOUR NUMBER ONE, NO ONE KNOWS WHAT YOU NEED BETTER THAN YOURSELF, NO ONE WILL EVER LOVE YOU LIKE YOU CAN, AND DON'T DREAM DREAMS LIVE THEM, YOU'VE GOT TO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF FIRST, I KNOW IT SOUNDS SELFISH BUT IF YA DON'T, YOU AIN'T NO GOOD FOR YOURSELF AND CAN'T BE HAPPY, AND LOVE OTHERS IN THE RIGHT WAY, IF YOU DON'T TAKE CARE OF YOU FIRST, IT'S NOT SELFISH, IT'S SURVIVAL.......

NUMBER TWO: LEARN TO FORGIVE LIFE, CAUSE LIFE OFFERS NO GUARANTEES, IT DOESN'T PROMISE YOU ANYTHING. THEY'LL BE SWEET TIMES, AND THEY'LL BE SOUR TIMES, MOST FOLKS SAY IF LIFE THROWS YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMON AIDE, I SAY EAT THE LEMONS, REMEMBER THE TASTE, THEN MOVE ON, THE TASTE WILL LEAVE IF YOU JUST SWALLOW IT. BE PREPARED FOR THE WORSE THING YOU CAN IMAGINE, CAUSE THEN YOUR PREPARED FOR IT, DON'T ALLOW LIFE TO THROW YOU. DON'T LET MEMORIES KEEP YOU INTO A PLACE WHERE YA CAN'T LIVE THE TIME THAT'S NOW, NOW IS ALL YOU GOT, REMEMBER THE GOOD TIMES, YOU CAN'T CHANGE WHAT IS PAST. TAKE LIFE, GRAB IT, AND SHAKE IT BY THE COLLAR EVERYDAY OF YOUR LIFE, FIGHT THE DOWNS AND ENJOY THE UPS, IF A LEMON COMES ALONG EAT IT AS FAST AS YOU CAN. BUT FORGIVE LIFE, THAT'S A HARD ONE, TO LEARN. IF YA DON'T YOUR LOST MAN, AND LIFE WINS.

AND WORK THESE EVERYDAY, CAUSE ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER THAN WORDS...... YEAH YOU READ IT, BUT WILL YA DO IT???

WHY DID I SAY THIS, MY MOMA IS DEAD AND DIED ON MOTHERS DAY WHEN I WAS 17, OH MY BIO MOMA IS ALIVE, BUT TO ME SHE'S BEEN DEAD FOR AS LONG AS I CAN REMEMBER..... I'VE JUST SEEN SO MANY MOTHER DAY REMINDERS I HAD TO SAY MINE IS GONE, BUT YA KNOW SHE'S WITH ME EVERYDAY, IN MY MIND, SPIRIT, AND SOUL, YOURSELF AND LIFE, IT'S ALL UP TO YOU. YOU CAN LIVE IN A CAGE, OR YOU CAN FLY LIKE AN EAGLE. I CHOOSE TO FLY............

1

Source(s): My Ex Back Secret : http://ExBack.oruty.com/?aZLi

Of course I love myself...I think I am great. I have never had that problem, I have never subscribed to the notion that being Gay was a bad thing...why should I? This crap is generated by insecure homophobes, and they have been around a long time...in fact, one lunatic wrote a few things in a badly written book called the Bible..another bad choice in reading.

If you do not love yourself, who else will? No body wants to put up with that much baggage. My being Gay does not define me as a person, that is a small part of me, and a part I like very much. I truly feel that Gays are the elite, the chosen people of the Earth. Please do not fall for the bull crap that women and the religious right try to dump on you...all the anti gay stuff is generated by a very obvious agenda. Let's face it...for something to have such world wide taboos all over it, it must be one hell of a good thing to do...otherwise, society would not need to place taboos on it, now would they? If you cannot see through this malarky, no wonder you are unhappy. Face it, if Gay were not preferred by man, it would not need ANY kind of taboo...now would it? I, for one, am bold enough to say, "I will not deprive myself of what is the best form of life." And that goes for everyone, not just me. Men can love men much more intensely than women can love men...we KNOW each other and STILL love each other...now that is really something to think about!

Omega, you always say the most profound things. But to your question, I would say yes I do have self-respect and self-love for myself but it took me a while to get to this place. And yes, I too, still worry about what others think of me (up to a point). But perhaps that's the balance we need to keep us from becoming arrogant or having a swelled head. No we can't do it alone, either, cause we need others around. Even if they get on our nerves and stuff, good friends and family (if you come from a big one that accepts you as you are) are good to have around and are hard to find.

I do love myself. But, I get the feeling that you're asking this question because you don't, or because you know someone that doesn't.

My best advice is to keep your head up and know that you will get through it. Think about the worst part of your life; the most horrible thing you can think of. You got through that didn't you? And you will get though this.

I realize that self-appreciation is something that we all have to get on our own. No amount of me telling you "you're great" is going to help. But you ARE great!

No mistakes were made in creating you. You are who you were supposed to be, and you have a purpose. So, keep your head up and know that you are stronger than you think.

Yes, I love myself, I would not be able to cope with myself if I didn't. I am a Christian and I went to my pastor who accepted me as I am. Yes, I know what the Bible says about gay people but that was written a long time ago, where there are more interpretations than that. My pastor explained them to me and now I know it for a fact.

There was a while when I didn't like myself. Alot. But I found out I will always be me. I wont change myself. I decided a long time ago that I would be no good to people if im a sad emotional bitchy blob of a person. I decided I would rather be happy being myself even if I lost people in my life because of my sexuality. Those people obviously weren't for me and didn't care for me as I did them. Its so powerful because it truly is a blessing in disguise, coming out is. It shows you who your real friends are. Who truly loves you.

It showed me. I am glad for that. I am happy being me.

Well, what's NOT to love about me??Eh?

I'm no size 0, but I'm incredibly sexy.

**** me over, and I'll do you twice as bad.

I'm not exceedingly intelligent, but what I do know is precious and valuable.

Say I'm not worth it and watch where I end up.

I'm not without fault, but I try think of others.

Try not to hurt anyone, cause pain, we have enough of that without me.

Judge me, and I'll prove you wrong.

I'm not always confident, but I embrace my insecurity.

Call me a ***** and I'll show you one.

Tell me what to do, and I'll tell you off.

I'm no saint, but I know no ones hands are completely clean.

I've always loved myself. I'm amazing.

Nothing helped me to achieve that.

I've been called everything, try things at least once and I've realized that people are great, even when their not.

Source(s): I don't question myself, that's how I cope when life seems to conflict with me. But people need to find what works for them. ++Ramsey

i love myself. i agree with most people on this one. im not a size 0 nor close to it. im not a model, im not rich, and i am a lesbian. I am proud of who i am. I have acoplished alot in life so far and i continue to do more. I have my friends and family when im feeling down just like straight people do.

I am very confident in who I am...

I live by the quote from Dr Seuss

"Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

heck look at my pic on here whats not to love and im bisexual,shaved head athletic build tattoos wow id do me