What can we do to encourage more girls to enter into the fields of mathematics and science?

Favorite Answer

Math sucks, why in the world would you want to do that? not men or women, Jesus Christ!!

Make it fun. Show how math and science are a part of everyday life. Cooking and baking are wonderful teaching tools - it covers fractions, multiplication (if adjusting recipes) physical changes, chemical changes, etc. Not to mention a sweet treat at the end of the lesson.

As they get older, letting them know about the salaries a science career can bring is a powerful motivator. Show her the salaries for a nurse with 10 years of experience, and a biotech scientist with only 5 years.

Edit: ksoileau, we do, and some girls display an aptitude for science, but then some idiots come along and say "girls can't be good at science" which destroys her confidence and sends her running back to a "safe" traditional career choice (which pays less). This, too, is part of a childs socialization.

Source(s): parenting 2 daughters right now

Encourage or push them into?

You generally find that the females who are interested in a future in those fields aren't going to be dissuaded from that goal. No matter how many people say "girls can't do maths/science", if they want it enough they'll do it anyway.

As for those who aren't, is there any benefit for pressuring them into it? They waste their time, ruin their happiness and for what good?

Also, it has been proven that GENERALLY males are more spatial thinkers and females more linguistic, which plays a large part in dictating where their strengths lie. I know that some people are always going to be different*- some men will be better at writing and art than science, whilst some females who can't paint for toffee excel at maths - but the pattern does generally fit this (in my top set maths class of about 30, maybe about 12 are female, whilst top set english has 5 males.)

All you can do is help them see that they can do *anything*, whether they are gifted in that area or not. But, at the end of the day, they will do what they want and like.

Insist that they excel in everything, including math. How do you do that? Help them or get them help if in areas in which they struggle, such as a tutor (Mathnasium, SCORE, whatever).

Accept nothing below a B in any subject, ever. If they can't get B's, get them more help.

I'm a prime example of a non math whiz with an engineering degree and a bunch of smarter-than-me people who work for me.

I have degrees in mechanical and electrical engineering and have never been great at math. But, good enough.

While in school I realized that you don't have to be super gifted in math and science in order to make a good living in technology. I've done pretty well with only good but not great natural math ability.

• Daniel

a start could be making examples out of the women who contributed to science. they are not as visible, but have made great contributions.

everyone knows about marie curie, but did you know that much of the groundwork for discovering the structure of DNA was done by a woman? Rosalind Franklin died of ovarian cancer and nobel prizes cannot be awarded posthumously. so james watson and francis crick take the glory. This is one case that's still disputed today.

How about jane goodall and her groundbreaking work with chimps? or how about ada byron: she's considered to be the world's first computer programmer. rachel carson wrote Silent Spring, and started a shockwave of environmentalism. there are many more examples of women in science besides this.

science is so many things, from physics, biology, chemistry, and many more. when attitudes about women in science change, we'll see more enrollment.

good luck

• roca

particular, there are a number of factors interior the laptop container that don't require lots math. between them organisation programming, systems administration, information base administration, community administration and -- of direction -- administration :-) As to the question of ways lots math you will ought to get a level it relies upon at this technique you elect. as an occasion Temple college in Philadelphia had (and doubtless nevertheless has) 2 classes, one run by ability of the maths branch and one by ability of the college of organisation. the standards are fairly distinctive. in terms of genuine artwork once you do stumble upon math issues what you ought to comprehend is the thank you to sparkling up them -- employing a working laptop or laptop. then you relatively enable the laptop do the maths for you.

Secretly tell them about this and find a way so that no one else can know about this. Just tell them to make up an excuse when coming to class. Encourage them and ask them what kind of fields they are thinking about entering

Take note of their mathematical and scientific skills as early as possible, and encourage them to work harder at it. That's kind of how it worked for me — when I was in elementary school, I spent a lot of time reading about space, so my teacher asked me to do an extra-credit project for her about it. I'm no longer interested in space, but then that was the only encouragement I got.

Only thing stopping anyone from becoming a scientist of mathematican is their own will to do something. Its no ones fault but the womans if she is too weak to decide what she wants to do with her life.

I know plenty of women science undergrads, so there is nothing wrong with the system. Once again, the feminist community is making a mountain out of nothing, literally. End of discussion.

• ?

You can't push someone into a field they're not interested in.

Because of innate differences between men and women, you are going to see more men in those fields, that's just the way it is. There is NO discrimination going on.

I had honors math in school and did fairly well in math, but I was NOT interested in any kind of math-related field. In fact I got bored with math and stopped taking math after I fulfilled my high school's math requirements.

go back to the teaching of a single earner family where the man provides for the family and the woman stays home and conducts the science of raising the children and using mathmatics to create a budget.....