Emily E asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

My female platy is hiding - what's going on?

I bought her (and 3 other platys) yesterday, and I've noticed she's pretty much always stayed in one place in the tank, and almost gotten aggressive when the other platys have come near to her. Today I woke up to find her hiding in the rock cave, and she didn't come out when I put food in. She's the platy with the healthiest fins, so I don't think she's ill. The other fish are doing great. What is she doing?

Favorite Answer

I think your platy is about to give birth, I got 4 platys 6 weeks ago and now have over 20 that survived, if she has dark spots on her side near her anal fin and looks fat this is more than likely the case. They don't usually eat for a day or so before giving birth to live young, and look for a safe place to do it. If you have plenty of hiding places for the fry just let nature take its course and you will have a few survivors, but if you buy a breeding trap you will soon be over run like i am. Just keep a close eye on her and once she has given birth she will be fine, just be prepared as they will eat a lot of their own fry, and that she will be able to have another lot within 4 to 6 weeks and she wont necessarily need a male as they can self fertilise from previous matings. Good Luck.

Maybe she is pregnant and about to have her fry, most fish will hide and get a little aggressive when they are about to give birth. Or it could just be she is getting use to her new home. Is her gravid spot opened up? That's if you can see her. Also when you bought her was her belly very swollen? You would be able to tell if she is pregnant. Good luck!

My one is doing the same thing I got her like 5 about a month ago a she has been really fat but not bloated all he scales a fine and she is hiding in her rock cave a is aggressive to my males

What length tank do you have? What different fish do you have in the tank? How long have they remained in hiding? days, weeks? It sounds to me like some thing may be harassing them. sure, some fish will dangle out in the vegetation extra desirable than others, yet they could desire to return out whilst they experience comfortable. If some thing is bothering them they are going to continuously stay in hiding.